[FSFE PR][EN] You suggest, we send handcuffs: Who needs education about standards?

press at fsfeurope.org press at fsfeurope.org
Wed Mar 21 15:01:12 CET 2012

== You suggest, we send handcuffs: Who needs education about standards? ==

[Read online: http://fsfe.org/news/2012/news-20120321-01.html ]

Do you know a certain politician who should really learn more about
Open Standards? Have you tried to explain the importance of Open Standards to
your boss, friends, local administration or service, but without any results?
Would support from the outside world help? Definitely! Inform our Document
Freedom Day (DFD) team about your situation and we will send a free, remarkable
gift to your contact to help them learn more about the power of Open
Standards.

All you have to do is submit the name and postal address of the person you'd
like the DFD team to contact by March 30. The DFD team will then deliver
by post gratis Open Standards educational packages, consisting of a short
letter explaining the topic and - to symbolise proprietary standards - a pair of
handcuffs! The DFD team is planning to send 100 packages, so submit your
suggestion soon to be sure your contact will receive their free materials. DFD
packages will be sent on April 4, and you can track shipment through our package
tracking map on the right [1].

Your support directly increases the amount of packages sent. Any donation above
the amount of 10 EUR gives you the right to indicate the name of an additional
person who will receive our package. So, who needs education about Open
Standards? Tell us today [1]!

1. http://documentfreedom.org/handcuffs/index.en.html

== About Document Freedom Day ==

Document Freedom Day (DFD) campaigns to celebrate information accessibility
and introduce non-technical audiences to Open Standards. Open Standards are a
basic condition for freedom and choice in software; ensuring the freedom to
access data, and the freedom to build Free Software to read and write
information. Started in 2008, the campaign has resulted in hundreds of events
worldwide, and this year will take place on March 28th. This year 28 partners
are supporting DFD.

== About the Free Software Foundation Europe ==

The Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) is a non-profit non-governmental
organisation active in many European countries and involved in many global
activities. Access to software determines participation in a digital society. To
secure equal participation in the information age, as well as freedom of
competition, the Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) pursues and is
dedicated to the furthering of Free Software, defined by the freedoms to use,
study, modify and copy. Founded in 2001, creating awareness for these issues,
securing Free Software politically and legally, and giving people Freedom by
supporting development of Free Software are central issues of the FSFE.

http://www.fsfe.org/

  Contact: Matthias Kirschner, Free Software Foundation Europe,
  Linienstr. 141, 10115 Berlin, t +49-30-27595290, m +49-1577-1780003