[FSFE PR][EN] Time to give back: Fellowship Raffle 2007!

Joachim Jakobs press at fsfeurope.org
Sat Feb 24 18:21:11 CET 2007

Time to give back: Fellowship Raffle 2007!

FSFE announces Fellowship Raffle 2007 at FOSDEM meeting in Brussels, Belgium

"The Free Software community is built on the principle of cooperation
of many very different parts. The Free Software Foundation Europe
(FSFE) works exclusively for the benefit of the entire community,
including the companies that make use of Free Software," explains
Georg Greve, president of FSFE. "We do this work gladly and with
great enthusiasm and we always remember that to a large extent this
work is made possible by those who work with us and support us, in
particular the many Fellows of FSFE."

Stefano Maffulli, FSFE's Fellowship coordinator explains: "There are
many ways to support FSFE's work, and they are all important, but the
Fellowship is special: It is a community of people who take
responsibility to contribute on a yearly basis to keep the foundation
running and many of them are active in the Fellowship meetings and
other activities."

Maffulli continues: "Companies support FSFE to show that they
appreciate our work, and in turn we like to show that we appreciate
our fellows.  This year we're delighted to do that through sharing
gadgets that were provided by companies who support Free Software:
Welcome to the 2007 Fellowship Raffle!"

On 1st of April 2007, FSFE will raffle the following devices and books
among all its Fellows:

 - 1 Free Software Greenphone [1] by Trolltech

 - 3 Developer Discount codes for N800 Internet Tablets (further information
[2])[3], by Nokia

 - 2 Free Software based routers KWGR614 [4] , by NETGEAR

 - 1 LinSoft BTP-PC amounting to 500 EUR [5], by linsoft.de

 - 4 USB smart card readers SCR-335 [6], compatible with the Fellowship
     crypto card on all GNU/Linux distributions, by kernelconcepts.de

 - 30 German books (among German speaking Fellows only) [7], by linuxland.de

 - 2 Omnikey PCMCIA CardMan 4040 [8], compatible with the Fellowship
     crypto card on all GNU/Linux distributions, by xtops.de

"We hope that this raffle will not only provide us with an opportunity
to thank all our Fellows, but will also help to inform more people
about the Fellowship and the work of FSFE," explains Joachim Jakobs,
FSFE's media coordinator. "For this reason we are providing web buttons
for download that link directly to the Fellowship raffle web page."

Stefano Maffulli adds: "This is the third and biggest Fellowship
raffle so far. To reflect FSFE's long-term mission and vision, we will
probably start to introduce special raffles based on how long people
have been part of the Fellowship already."

"The Free Software Foundation Europe thanks all sponsors for their
support and for providing these prizes to our Fellowship community.
We hope that people will have fun with this raffle and the hunt for
buttons, because fighting for freedom should also be fun," says
Georg Greve.

He concludes: "At the same time this is an important job that sometimes
can be serious and difficult. So we hope that many more people will
come and share both the fun and the hard work with us."

About the Free Software Foundation Europe:

   The Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) is a non-profit
   non-governmental organisation active in many European countries and
   involved in many global activities. Access to software determines
   participation in a digital society. To secure equal participation
   in the information age, as well as freedom of competition, the Free
   Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) pursues and is dedicated to the
   furthering of Free Software, defined by the freedoms to use, study,
   modify and copy. Founded in 2001, creating awareness for these
   issues, securing Free Software politically and legally, and giving
   people Freedom by supporting development of Free Software are
   central issues of the FSFE.

[1] http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/greenphone/greenphone_pricing
[2] http://maemo.org/maemowiki/N800DeveloperDeviceProgram
[3] http://europe.nokia.com/phones/n800