[FSFE PR][EN] FSFE becomes the legal guardian of the Bacula Project

Joachim Jakobs press at fsfeurope.org
Tue Nov 21 13:21:18 CET 2006

FSFE becomes the legal guardian of the Bacula Project

    The Bacula Project has became the first signatory of the Fiduciary
    licence Agreement (FLA), a copyright assignment that allows FSFE
    to become the legal guardian of projects.

Kern Sibbald, the founder and lead developer of the Bacula network
backup solution, assigned his copyright to FSFE.  "I wanted to
underline the commitment of the Bacula Project to Free Software," said
Kern.  "Bacula has always been a community project and we're just
solidifying that for the long-term. I am very thankful that the FSFE
is providing this service because it removes an important administrative
burden from the project, which allows us to focus on the task of
programming."

The Bacula Project will be protected by FSFEs Freedom Task Force
(FTF).  Shane Coughlan, FTF Coordinator, explains "The FTF is
committed to making projects more secure.  The Fiduciary licence
Agreement is one part of this.  We want to allow developers to focus
on their core work.  That's why we are taking care of the legal side
of things while Kern continues making a fantastic network backup
system."

"We are delighted to help Bacula accomplish its full potential. The
Free Software ecosystem is maturing rapidly these days and the Freedom
Task Force with its Fiduciary Licence Agreement, licensing education,
licensing advice and enforcement services is an important part in
this," explains FSFE president Georg Greve. He adds: "We very much
thank Stichting NLnet for doing their part in making this possible,
and hope that others will step up to likewise support this effort."

Shane Coughlan summarises "our mission is to help individuals,
projects and businesses who develop and use Free Software.  The Bacula
assignment is the first step in our larger fiduciary programme.  We
are looking forward to welcoming other projects on board."

The Freedom Task Force can be found at http://www.fsfeurope.org/ftf

The Freedom Task Force can be emailed at ftf at roundup.fsfeurope.org

About the Bacula Project:

   Bacula is a set of computer programs that permit people to manage backup,
   recovery, and verification of computer data across a network of computers
   of different kinds. The Bacula Project is managed and coordinated by Kern
   Sibbald.

   Further information: http://bacula.org

Contact:

   Free Software Foundation Europe
    Belgium:     +32   2 747 03 57
    Switzerland: +41  43 500 03 66
    UK:          +44  29 200 08 17 7
    Germany:     +49 700 373 38 76 73

   Shane Coughlan, FTF Co-ordinator, FSFE extension: 408

   Joachim Jakobs, Media Relations,  FSFE extension: 404
                                             mobile: +49-179-6919565

If you want to subscribe to this mailing list you can do so at
http://mail.fsfeurope.org/mailman/listinfo/press-release

About the Free Software Foundation Europe:

   The Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) is a non-profit
   non-governmental organisation active in many European countries and
   involved in many global activities. Access to software determines
   participation in a digital society. To secure equal participation
   in the information age, as well as freedom of competition, the Free
   Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) pursues and is dedicated to the
   furthering of Free Software, defined by the freedoms to use, study,
   modify and copy. Founded in 2001, creating awareness for these
   issues, securing Free Software politically and legally, and giving
   people Freedom by supporting development of Free Software are
   central issues of the FSFE.

   Further information: http://fsfeurope.org

Get active, protect your freedom by joining the Fellowship of FSFE at
                                             http://www.fsfe.org/join