[FSFE PR][EN] [GNU/FSF Press] FSF Announces New Executive Director

Free Software Foundation communications at fsf.org
Mon Feb 14 16:28:33 CET 2005

For Immediate Release:
http://www.fsf.org/news/new-executive-director.html

FSF announces new Executive Director

Boston, MA, USA - Monday, February 14, 2005 - The Free Software
Foundation (FSF) today announced the appointment of Peter T. Brown as
its new Executive Director.

The appointment follows the departure of Bradley M. Kuhn, who is
taking up the post of Chief Technology Officer at the newly created
Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC). Regarding his departure, Kuhn
noted his desire to live in the New York City area and his interest in
pursuing a technical role again.

Brown, who has worked at the FSF since 2001 and is currently the
manager of the GPL Compliance Lab, and previously a Director of the
alternative press magazine, New Internationalist, said, "I am very
excited by this opportunity to work closely with FSF President,
Richard Stallman, though I am sad to see Bradley leave the
organization following such a successful tenure. The FSF faces an
exciting year ahead as well as tough challenges. The additional legal
resources being offered by the Software Freedom Law Center will give
us an opportunity to expand on our GPL compliance efforts. We expect
to work closely with the law center and the free software community as
we work towards GPL version 3. We're also moving, in two senses, as we
have just launched our new home page at www.fsf.org, and we'll be
moving to new office premises in May, so expect an updated GPL version
2 with that new address."

Asked about the challenges ahead, Brown said, "Everyday it becomes
more apparent that the growing success of Free Software threatens
established proprietary software and media interests. These interests
will continue to see our freedoms as threats, and we fully expect, and
are preparing for, further challenges to our community."

----

About Free Software Foundation: The Free Software Foundation, founded
in 1985, is dedicated to promoting computer users' right to use,
study, copy, modify, and redistribute computer programs. The FSF
promotes the development and use of Free (as in freedom) Software -
particularly the GNU operating system and its GNU/Linux variants - and
Free Documentation for Free Software. The FSF also helps to spread
awareness of the ethical and political issues of freedom in the use of
software. Their web site, located at www.fsf.org, is an important
source of information about GNU/Linux. They are headquartered in
Boston, MA, USA.