[FSFE PR][EN] [GNU/FSF Press] Typo in USENIX award acceptance speech

Bradley M. Kuhn pr at gnu.org
Tue Jul 3 11:38:44 CEST 2001

Please note that there was a typo in the text of the USENIX award
acceptance speech we sent last week.  It's been corrected on the web at:

   http://www.gnu.org/events/bob-usenix-lifetime-accept.txt

The key issue was that "GNU Linux" was replaced with "GNU/Linux".

With English grammar, "GNU Linux" uses "GNU" as a modifier acting on
"Linux".  So it means either "the GNU version of Linux", or "Linux, which
is a GNU package".  Neither of those meanings is appropriate for the
situation, so we don't write "GNU Linux" (except when we make a mistake).
"GNU/Linux" is a way of saying "the combination of GNU and Linux".

The mistake was made because Mr. Chassell had written his notes to ease
reading, not for publication and we missed on instance of "GNU Linux" when
we published them.

We apologize for the confusion.

   -- bkuhn