FSFE makes copyrights computer readable

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Wed Nov 8 11:19:55 CET 2017

 = FSFE makes copyrights computer readable =

[ Read online: https://fsfe.org/news/2017/news-20171108-01.sk.html ]

The Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) is proud to release its next
version of our REUSE practices [1] designed to make computers understand
software copyrights and licenses.

The REUSE practices help software developers make simple additions to
license headers which make it easier for a computer to determine what
license applies to the various parts of a programs source code. By
following the REUSE practices, software developers can ensure their
intent to license software under a particular license is understood and
more readily adhered to.

Together with the updated practices, which mostly clarify and make
explicit some points, the FSFE is also releasing a set of developer
tools and examples which show the REUSE practices in action. Three
example repositories, together with an example walkthrough of the
process used to make the cURL project REUSE compliant, are complemented
with a simple tool to validate whether a program is REUSE compliant.

    With our REUSE initiative, we hope to inspire software developers to
    think about writing copyright and license information -- the
    metadata of software -- in ways which make them easier to parse
    programmatically.

    says Jonas Öberg, Executive Director of the FSFE.

The new REUSE practices and related documentation and examples can be
found on: https://reuse.software [2].

 == Tags ==

- front-page [3]

- reuse [4]

- software [5]

- developer-tools [6]

- update [7]

- curl [8]

 1: https://reuse.software/
 2: https://reuse.software/
 3: https://fsfe.org/tags/tagged-frontpage.sk.html
 4: https://fsfe.org/tags/tagged-reuse.sk.html
 5: https://fsfe.org/tags/tagged-software.sk.html
 6: https://fsfe.org/tags/tagged-developertools.sk.html
 7: https://fsfe.org/tags/tagged-update.sk.html
 8: https://fsfe.org/tags/tagged-curl.sk.html

  == About the Free Software Foundation Europe ==

  Free Software Foundation Europe is a charity that empowers users to
  control technology. Software is deeply involved in all aspects of our
  lives; and it is important that this technology empowers rather than
  restricts us. Free Software gives everybody the rights to use,
  understand, adapt and share software. These rights help support other
  fundamental freedoms like freedom of speech, press and privacy.

  The FSFE helps individuals and organisations to understand how Free
  Software contributes to freedom, transparency, and self-determination.
  It enhances users' rights by abolishing barriers to Free Software
  adoption, encourage people to use and develop Free Software, and
  provide resources to enable everyone to further promote Free Software
  in Europe.

  http://fsfe.org