[FSFE] Report of Document Freedom Day 2012

press at fsfeurope.org press at fsfeurope.org
Thu Apr 5 13:11:54 CEST 2012

 = Report of Document Freedom Day 2012 =

 [Read online:
http://www.documentfreedom.org/news/2012/news-20120403-01.it.html]

Document Freedom Day 2012 was a great success! America, Asia, Africa
and Europe celebrated together Open Standards at 54 events. It is
no doubt that DFD is growing and we believe that it will be even more
successful next year. So what about having look at what happened
around the world on 28th of March? And what has the Pope to do with
Open Standards? Read our detailed report to find out.

This year was the most powerful DFD day in the history! And we are
proud to say that. Our DFD team and amazing volunteers managed to
get on board more than 50 local organisers all around the world. One
of the most active countries that deserves our respect is Venezuela
with 10 events in a single country. The Document Freedom Day 2012 was
celebrated in 22 countries and in 19 world languages. Our fifth year
of organising this event got considerable press coverage with
almost one hundred articles. All this was possible thanks to the
support of our two main sponsors, Google and Oracle, and help of
hundreds of volunteers and 38 partners spread in all the corners of
the world.

Full report with additional information and pictures:
http://www.documentfreedom.org/news/2012/news-20120403-01.it.html

== About the Free Software Foundation Europe ==

  The Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) is a non-profit
  non-governmental organisation active in many European countries and
  involved in many global activities. Access to software determines
  participation in a digital society. To secure equal participation in
  the information age, as well as freedom of competition, the Free
  Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) pursues and is dedicated to the
  furthering of Free Software, defined by the freedoms to use, study,
  modify and copy. Founded in 2001, creating awareness for these issues,
  securing Free Software politically and legally, and giving people
  Freedom by supporting development of Free Software are central issues
  of the FSFE.

  http://fsfe.org/

== About Document Freedom Day ==

Document Freedom Day (DFD) campaigns to celebrate information
accessibility and introduce non-technical audiences to Open Standards.
Open Standards are a basic condition for freedom and choice in
software; ensuring the freedom to access data, and the freedom to
build Free Software to read and write information. Started in 2008,
the campaign has resulted in hundreds of
events worldwide, and this year will take place on March 28th. This
year 28 partners are supporting DFD.

http://documentfreedom.org

Contact: Matthias Kirschner, Free Software Foundation Europe,
Linienstr. 141, 10115 Berlin, t +49-30-27595290, m +49-1577-1780003