Upcycling of software +++ FSFE Translators +++ Router Freedom at risk in Latvia

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Tue Nov 16 09:29:48 UTC 2021

 = Upcycling of software +++ FSFE Translators +++ Router Freedom at risk in Latvia =

[ Lexojeni online: https://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-202111.sq.html ]

In our November Newsletter learn why device neutrality and upcycling of
software are essential to make (re-)using our hardware more resource-
efficient. Read about the key role translators play in the FSFE and
about the loss of Router Freedom in Latvia. Watch a new video on Free
Software core values, and follow our community events.

 == Free Software helps extending hardware lifespans ==

In the European Union we currently see a strong desire to make
digitisation more sustainable, with the European Commission aiming at
making our product lifecycles more resource-efficient as well as making
circular economy methods applicable. Technological devices should be
designed in a way that they last for a longer period of time. The
Circular Electronics Initiative recognises that a common issue is that
manufacturers stop updating the software of a device and then the user
of the device has to buy a new one. A solution that gains ground in the
Circular Electronics Initiative is that manufacturers of smartphones and
tablets should provide security updates for five years and function
updates for three years free of charge.

In an in-depth study, the FSFE explains [1] that publishing the source
code after the end of support is a more effective way to extend the
lifespan of devices than relying exclusively on the manufacturers'
extended support. If manufacturers publish a device's underlying source
code under a Free Software licence at the end of support, the software
of the device can be modified. This way, the device can still be used
and its hardware gets a second life. Reusing software can help steer the
European digitisation from a market of linear hardware production
towards circular electronics devices. We are asking for truly opening up
the circular reuse of electronics by enabling an upcycling of software.
For a critical, long-lasting, and sustainable change in the extension of
our hardware usage lifetimes, however, products need to be designed with
device neutrality in mind from the beginning [2].

 == The key role of translators ==

Translators empower people [3] to learn about Free Software in various
languages. Since the founding of the organisation in 2001, the
translators team has been an integral part of the FSFE. Today we have
over 280 members on the translators mailing list, helping us in their
spare time to translate for software freedom. We have 40 languages
represented on our web page, with almost 7,000 translations.

"I love translating items about Free Software mainly because I love Free
Software and I want that all Italian people could easily know the
benefits of Free Software in their own language. As a side effect, since
the translation process usually involves more than one person, I'm also
learning more about English and Italian too!" says Luca Bonissi, Deputy
Translators Coordinator.

 == Regulation in Latvia takes away Router Freedom ==

Latvia has created a risky precedent against end-users' rights [4] by
allowing internet service providers (ISPs) to restrict the use of
personal routers and modems based on "technological necessities". When
the Latvian Regulatory Agency (SPRK) asked for public feedback about the
regulation, the FSFE shared its concern and engaged with the regulator.
In May 2021, we submitted a consultation [5] explaining to the SPRK that
its approach limits Router Freedom and would not comply with European
laws. Unfortunately, the regulator decided to keep its position.

ISPs can now deny people the right to use a personal router or modem in
Latvia, claiming technological issues. If they do so, they would have to
justify on their respective websites why they are restricting Router
Freedom. Even so, SPRK still withheld the ability to assess these claims
by the ISPs, and they would have a final say on the claimed necessities.
Beyond hampering consumer rights, the Latvian situation creates
unnecessary friction for a functional and harmonised framework on the
terminal equipment market, negatively affecting European router
manufacturers and vendors.

No other EU country has identified such technological necessities so
far. We encourage, therefore, Latvian consumers to report ISPs'
practices in our survey [6], so we can get data and bring this to the
attention of BEREC and the European Commission, and so defend end-user
rights.

This year the FSFE celebrates its 20th anniversary. Support our work for
the 20 years to come [7]

 == New video about Free Software values ==

For our 20 years anniversary this year, we have now released our new
video about the values of software freedom. You can watch the three-
minute video on our new self-hosted peertube instance in English [8] and
German [9]. It is licensed under Creative Commons by Share-Alike, so
feel free to share it with others or include it in your websites in
order to explain Free Software to a wider audience..

You can also subscribe to our new peertube instance [10], so you don't
miss our upcoming videos.

 == Public Money? Public Code! Now in Japanese ==

Code paid for by the people should be available to the people! This
demand is said in many languages, and now it is said in Japanese [11]
too. After growing increasingly popular, the FSFE's initiative PMPC has
had its website and video translated into Japanese as well. The video
[12] was done by the same team which created the aforementioned new
video about the core values of software freedom.

Now with the Japanese translations, the "Public Money? Public Code!"
video is available in 10 languages: Dutch, English, French, German,
Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Japanese.

 == Upcoming events ==

- On Saturday 11 December, time TBC, Lina Ceballos, an FSFE Project
  Manager, will participate at the GNUHealthCon2021 [13]. Lina will take
  a look at the role that Free Software played in the last crisis and
  how it could help overcoming future ones, by pointing to the principle
  of “Public Money? Public Code!" and the role that governments, public
  bodies, and administrations have in this. More information to be
  shared on our website soon.

- On Monday, 13 December, at 7pm (CEST), the monthly meeting of the Bonn
  FSFE Fellowship [14] will take place. The Bonn FSFE Community Meetings
  are regular meetings which are taking place on every second Monday of
  the month for supporters of the FSFE or in general people who are
  interested in Free Software.

- On Monday 13 December at 18:00 CET, Lina Ceballos, an FSFE Project
  Manager, will host the launching event of our recently translated into
  Spanish - Public Money? Public Code! brochure. We will discuss the
  current situation and future challenges for software freedom in Spain.
  We anticipate the participation of Pica Pica HackLab, GNUHealth, and
  KDE, and more. This event will be held in Spanish. More information to
  be shared on our website soon.

 == Past events ==

- On 20 October, the FSFE Netherlands had its online get-together [15].
  Upon the formation of a new Dutch government, the FSFE Netherlands
  team discussed ways to push the Public Money? Public Code! demand. A
  discussion on other current topics followed, such as the news of
  Belgium offering a digital wallet to its citizens.

- On 20 October, Lucas Lasota, FSFE's Deputy Legal Coordinator,
  organised at the Humboldt University of Berlin a winter seminar on
  software law [16], including elements of software licensing, copyright
  and contract law.

- On 28 October, the Berlin Fellowship Group had its regular meeting
  [17] (online).

- On 6 November, the FSFE organised the Legal Education Day [18]. It
  offered a session on the basics of copyright law and an introduction
  to the concept of copyleft. Useful topics for software developers
  followed, such as licence compatibility, trademarks, and containers.
  Our aim is to help Free Software developers to understand these legal
  topics so that their software projects can reach their full potential.

- On 12 – 13 November, the FSFE participated in the SFSCon by organising
  a sustainability track and providing three talks. Erik Albers,
  Programme Manager, defined 4 principles for a sustainable digital
  society [19]; Max Mehl, Programme Manager, presented REUSE as the gold
  standard for Free Software licensing [20]; Lucas Lasota, Project
  Manager, demonstrated our efforts Protecting Router Freedom within the
  EU reform of telecom law [21]; and Alexander Sander, Policy
  Consultant, presented Public Money? Public Code! During Corona [22].
  Besides that, we had a phone flashing workshop. More about that in our
  next publications.

 == Get active ==

Help us translate the new video about the core values of Free Software
into more languages, just as we did with the Public Money? Public Code!
video. The cost of a professional translation is ~850 EUR, including
editing of the script, an external professional speaker, and potential
studio costs.

We want to offer our new video in many other languages to help people
understand why it is important for society that software grants the
freedoms to use, study, share, and improve it. This demand concerns us
all as technology users, regardless of the language we speak. You can
support our translation effort as well as our other work for Free
Software by becoming a supporter [23].

 == Contribute to our newsletter ==

If you would like to share any thoughts, pictures, or news, please send
them to us. As always, the address is newsletter at fsfe.org. We're looking
forward to hearing from you! If you also want to support us and our
work, join our community and support us with a donation or a monthly
contribution [24]. Thanks to our community and all the volunteers,
supporters, and donors who make our work possible. And thanks to our
translators, who enable you to read this newsletter in your native
languages.

Your editor, Fani Partsafyllidou

Discuss this [25]

--