FSFE Newsletter October 2011

press at fsfeurope.org press at fsfeurope.org
Wed Oct 5 10:32:15 CEST 2011

= FSFE Newsletter - October 2011 =

[Online lesen: http://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-201110.de.html ]

== Laundruino - The laundry hack and laser sharks ==

FSFE Fellow Michael Clemens has a solution for all of you out there who
want to know when their laundry in the washing machine is done. In his
article he explains[1]how to build get a "Laundruino", based on the Free
Software microcontroller Arduino[2], which informs you of the status of
your laundry cycle.

1.
http://blogs.fsfe.org/clemens/2011/08/05/the-arduino-enabled-washing-machine/
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino

During his research for a radio interview (German)[3]about a teenager
who built a Free Software earthquake detection system for under 100 EUR,
your editor was delighted to find many similar projects, such as how to
make free hardware based simple robots[4], weather stations[5], a
blimp[6], an installation to make high speed pictures[7]and 3D-
makerbots[8].

3. http://blogs.fsfe.org/mk/?p=828
4. http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-wall-avoiding-Robot!/
5. http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Arduino-Weather-Station-Thermostat/
6. http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=mkca1
7.
http://hacknmod.com/hack/high-speed-photography-how-to-trigger-using-arduino/
8. http://wiki.makerbot.com/thingomatic

These creative and educational guides are the result of people sharing
blueprints and source code, and are made possible by the fact that the
authors are able to change how these computers work. They can modify
them, and share their knowledge and ideas with others. With Free
Software and free hardware, people can really understand the technology
that surrounds them, and change it to meet their needs. And who knows,
maybe soon your editor's dream of sharks with lasers will become
reality.

== Euro 2012 champion to speak at FSCONS ==

Guido Arnold from FSFE's Education Team[9]presented the results of the
Euro 2012 qualification in Free Software and Open Standards for
September 2nd[10], September 3rd[11]and September 6th[12]. On November
12th, he will give a presenation in FSFE's track at FSCONS[13]about the
developments of Free Software in education and how to participate in the
team's activities.

9. http://fsfe.org/projects/education/eduteam.de.html
10.
http://blogs.fsfe.org/guido/2011/09/euro-2012-in-free-software-qualification-results-sep-2-2011/
11.
http://blogs.fsfe.org/guido/2011/09/euro2012-in-free-software-qualification-results-sep-3-2011/
12.
http://blogs.fsfe.org/guido/2011/09/euro2012-in-free-software-qualification-results-sep-6/
13. http://fscons.org

== Something completely different ==

- "In Facebook you are not the customer, you are the product", writes
   our President Karsten Gerloff in his article[14]on recent
   announcements by Facebook, and decentralised social networks[15].
- Check out the latest Fellowship Interview with Stefan Kangas[16], who
   talks about Fripost[17]as a new community developing Free, privacy-
   preserving email services in a reliable way.
- A selection of interesting blog entries from our planet
   aggregation[18]:Two Fellows doing analysis: Henri Bergus introduces us
   to business analytics with CouchDB and NoFlo[19], and Paul Adams
   analyses SVN commits in KDE[20].
- "Dr. Danz" wrote a daily journal about the KDE-telepathy sprint: day
   0[21], day 1[22], day 2[23], and day 3[24].
- Read Henri's view[25]on who is winning the war between tablets and
   laptops, and share your views with our mailing lists
<http://fsfe.org/contact/community.de.html>.

14.
http://blogs.fsfe.org/gerloff/2011/09/23/facebooks-opengraph-time-to-get-out/
15. https://wiki.fsfe.org/CloudComputing/
16. http://blogs.fsfe.org/fellowship-interviews/?p=422
17. https://fripost.org/
18. http://planet.fsfe.org
19. http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/business_analytics_with_couchdb_and_noflo/
20. http://blogs.fsfe.org/padams/?p=237
21. http://blogs.fsfe.org/drdanz/?p=542
22. http://blogs.fsfe.org/drdanz/?p=555
23. http://blogs.fsfe.org/drdanz/?p=576
24. http://blogs.fsfe.org/drdanz/?p=587
25. http://blogs.fsfe.org/drdanz/?p=587

-

== Get Active: New merchandise - Laser sharks with Fellowship logo? ==

We want to think about some new merchandise, and we would really like
your fresh ideas. So please help us brainstorming; send proposals for
t-shirt designs and other merchandise ideas to discussionfsfeurope.org,
or if you prefer, directly to me at the address below. It does not
matter if your ideas are crazy or unrealistic. Send them in and help us
to be creative.

Thanks to all the Fellows[26]and donors[27]who enable our work,
26. http://fellowship.fsfe.org/join
27. donate/thankgnus.de.html

Matthias Kirschner- FSFE

--