FSFE Newsletter April 2019

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Wed Apr 24 08:36:11 UTC 2019

 = FSFE Newsletter April 2019 =

[ Read online: https://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-201904.ro.html ]

This month's newsletter highlights the presence of the FSFE's
campaign"Public Money? Public Code!" in German media and its growing
popularity across Europe. You can find a short reminder of the news
around the newly voted Copyright Directive, as well as a short summary
of what else has happened during the past month. In the Get Active
section this month we remind you of the new open call the Next
Generation Internet project we are part of has launched. Additionally
you can find out about new events we are attending and the Web-a-thon we
organise in Frankfurt am Main.

 == "Public Money? Public Code!" in German media ==

Our campaign Public Money? Public Code! [1] has really taken off, as
German media WDR [2] and t3n [3] picked it up earlier this month. The
FSFE's initiative received prominent support in the media from various
Bundestag members, as well as digital politics activists and publicists
embracing the free licenses for software receiving money from public
sector.

Additionally, t3n, who also supports the campaign, published an
interview [4] with the FSFE's Public Policy Manager, Alexander Sander on
the way public sector, like the city of Barcelona, deploys Free Software
in its administration and city solutions: "The city manages to "react to
the digital transformation with appropriate digital solutions". "The
government's agenda today is 70 percent determined by the proposals made
through Decidim." says the Public Policy Manager. He believes that
administrations could save money in the long term by using free-open
source software: different communities might share programs and
knowledge, new software would not have to be bought at high cost or
completely redeveloped." Alexander Sander also mentioned Barcelona was
the first major European city to support this action.

Please, feel welcome to also express your support by spreading the word
and sharing our brochure [5]

 == Copyright Directive was adopted ==

The European Parliament adopted the controversial Copyright Directive by
348 votes in favour, 274 votes against and 36 abstentions. Heated
discussions about the introduction of upload filters ended up in
protests of hundreds of thousands of people in the streets all across
Europe. You can read our press release [6] on the topic.

Join our community of freedom fighters: https://my.fsfe.org/support [7]

 == Inside and Outside the FSFE ==

- Pablo González, the FSFE's Madrid Coordinator, was present with an
  info booth between March 26th and 28th at the Taller de Periodismo de
  Datos [8] in Medialab Prado in Madrid, Spain. He met with local
  journalists, hackers and data researchers interested in the FSFE's
  initiatives and goals, and topics like Open Standards and privacy.

- We also published our #ilovefs report [9] where you can see only few
  of the pictures and graphics used during the day, as unfortunately, we
  couldn't include all the wonderful photos we saw. And you can also
  have insights on some numbers in statistics.

- On 3 April, the FSFE's Policy Manager Alexander Sander was at the Open
  Platform for Open Data? [10] in Vienna, Austria. There, he talked
  about the challenges and contradictions of the models public
  administrations face when deploying software, as well as provided ways
  forward on how to shape the open data debate in a way that
  systematically promotes the public interest.

- Alexander Sander also made few other presentations on that topic at
  the Netzpolitischer Abend [11] on 4 April in Vienna and on April 5th
  at the Grand Garage [12] in Linz, Austria. A full video of his talk in
  Vienna is also available [13].

- Marcus Moeller, the FSFE Switzerland Coordinator, gave a presentation
  promoting the sustainable use of electronic equipment for educational
  purposes and thus also promoting Free Software, on 6 April at the Open
  Education Day [14] in Berne, Switzerland. His presentation was given
  in front of teachers, people engaged with school informatics, as well
  as people interested in introducing and promoting Free Libre Open
  Source Software, Open Content or Open Hardware at their school.

- On 6 April the FSFE was present with an information and merchandise
  booth at another event - the 18th "Linux-Infotag Augsburg" [15]. The
  event took place in the premises of the IT faculty of the Augsburg
  University of Applied Sciences.

- On April 8th, The FSFE's Policy Analyst Alexander Sander and Programme
  Manager Erik Albers gave a presentation at Escola del Treball de
  Barcelona about our "Public Money?Public Code!" Campaign. The meetup,
  lead by Monica Bernardi from Dimmos, discussed public policies around
  Free Software, public money and how to leverage Free Software to push
  public administrations into the next level. You can also watch the
  full video [16] from the event.

- This month we had local FSFE supporter meetings in Hamburg, Bonn, Kiel
  and Zurich, Switzerland.

 == Do not miss: upcoming events with the FSFE ==

- On 26 and 27 April, Max Mehl, the FSFE's Programme Manager, will give
  a keynote about Free Software as a solution to many pressing IT
  security problems at the Grazer Linuxtage [17]. He will look at the
  pros and cons and use concrete examples to illustrate why security and
  openness are not contradictory. If you are close by, pay a visit to
  his talk at the Technical University Graz.

- On 11 May, the FSFE will be present with a booth at T-Dose [18] in
  Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Visit the booth for interesting dicussions
  and chats about Free Software.

- On 21 May, Erik Albers, the FSFE's Communication Manager, will talk at
  the Magdeburger Developer Days [19] about how we can help ours and
  future generations to safe resources with the help of software.

- Between 24 and 26 May, the FSFE will host a web-a-thon in Frankfurt
  (Main) with the intend to have a fruitful collective work on improving
  the FSFE's homepage. The web-a-thon will happen at the local Chaos
  Computer Club [20]. Be there, or be square.

 == Get Active ==

Next Generation Internet Initiative [21]: The third call of NGI Zero
Discovery and NGI Zero PET opened up on April 1st 2019, with a deadline
for submissions of June 1st 2019 12:00 CET.

NGI Zero Discovery [22] is seeking for project proposals between 5.000
and 50.000 euros - with the potential to scale them up if there is
proven potential. Search should not be a gatekeeper, a black box or a
privacy nightmare. If the internet is the equivalent of a global brain,
we need creativity and diversity in the pathways across that brain to
unlock its true potential. Search and discovery are basic human needs
for humans of all ages, and we would like to put powerful new technology
in the hands of future generations as building blocks for a fair and
democratic society and an open economy that benefits all.

NGI Zero PET [23] is seeking project proposals between 5.000 and 50.000
euros - with the potential to scale them up if there is proven
potential. Reliability, confidentiality, integrity and security should
be the 'new normal' of the internet, something ordinary users should not
have to worry about. Trust is one of the key drivers for the Next
Generation Internet, and an adequate level of privacy is a non-
negotiable requirement for that. The desire is to assist independent
researchers and developers to create powerful new technology, and to
help them put it in the hands of future generations as building blocks
for a fair and democratic society and an open economy that benefits all.

If your proposal ends up amongst the winners list, you will receive
licensing advices and consultation from the FSFE team.

 == Contribute to our newsletter ==

If you would like to share any thoughts, pictures, or news, send them to
us. As always, the address is newsletter at fsfe.org. We are looking
forward to hearing from you. Also make sure to see your event in our
next newsletter. Please use our new tool [24] to announce it!

Thanks to our community, all the volunteers [25], supporters [26] and
donors [27] who make our work possible. And thanks to our translators
[28], who enable you to read this newsletter in your mother tongue.

Your editor,

Galia Mancheva

Join our community of freedom fighters: https://my.fsfe.org/support [29]

Free Software Foundation Europe <https://fsfe.org>