FSFE Newsletter February 2018

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Wed Feb 21 16:26:17 CET 2018

 = FSFE Newsletter February 2018 =

[ Read online: https://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-201802.it.html ]

 == Barcelona is the first city council to join the FSFE's "Public Money? Public Code!" campaign ==

"Funds that come from the citizens have to be invested in systems that
can be reused and open to a local ecosystem" says Francesca Bria,
Commissioner of Digital Technology and Innovation of Barcelona. She is
the driving force behind the City's Digital Transformation Plan, which -
among other things - aims to establish the use of Free Software and open
data in the city's administration.

Step by step, all key applications shall be replaced with Free Software
solutions until the city finally replaces its currently running Windows-
system with a suitable GNU/Linux-system. Therewith, Barcelona is heading
to achieve and guarantee "complete technological sovereignty" [1] for
the municipality. By spring of 2019, when its municipal term of office
ends, the City Council has planned to spend 70 percent of its software
budget on open-source software.

With this in mind, Barcelona has been the first city council to sign the
Open Letter [2] of our "Public Money Public? Code!" campaign. The FSFE
is very pleased to see one of European's biggest metropolitan areas
moving to Free Software, and we wish Barcelona much success!

 == I love Free Software Day ==

Every year, our community celebrates "I Love Free Software Day" on
February 14. Our report from this year's celebration is coming soon but
we like to say thank you for hundreds of love declarations via social
media channels, pictures of people celebrating their favourite Free
Software projects like Developers Italia [3], beautiful artworks like
the one from Grise Bouille [4] as well as multiple blog posts informing
about the benefits of Free Software. We even found people opening issues
on project's development platforms [5], just to say "Thank You!" on "I
love Free Software Day".

Thank you for celebrating with us and stay tuned for the detailed report
coming soon.

Join our community of freedom fighters. [6]

 == What else have we done? Inside and Outside the FSFE ==

- The day before FOSDEM, the FSFE once again partnered up with OpenForum
  Europe for the third edition of European Free Software Policy Meeting
  [7] to discuss the most important current policy issues on European
  level regarding Free Software.

- The FSFE country team Italy is running an "Ask your candidates"
  campaign [8] and sent a set of questions about the use and promotion
  of Free Software to the participating parties of the Italian national
  elections, happening on March 4.

- The "besondere elektronische Anwaltspostfach (beA)" is publicly
  financed software aiming to establish a secure communication between
  lawyers in Germany from January 2018. Its usage, however, is currently
  being withheld for multiple security issues. The FSFE published an
  open letter [9] to demand the full publication of beA under a Free
  Software license.

- At the 34th Chaos Communication Congress the FSFE, together with EDRi,
  set up a cluster called “Rights & Freedoms” with its own freedom
  related track. Erik Albers wrote a report about it on his blog [10].

- Daniel Pocock, the FSFE community representative, writes about
  Everything you didn't know about FSFE in a picture [11] in which he
  analyses overlapping relationships between staffers, Council,
  community and the General Assembly.

- Vanitasvitae reports [12] about his trip to XSF-summit, FOSDEM and the
  importance of XMPP libraries

- Daniel Pocock distributed an email to the FSFE community [13] in that
  he reflected the GA membership process, the FSFE's identity process
  and his personal travels.

- Sebastian Schauenburg shares his insides on sharing local OsmAnd and
  Geo URL's [14]

- Polina Malaja, the FSFE's policy analyst, writes about our response to
  the PSI Directive public consultation [15] that in short asks to
  include source code into the list of re-usable public sector
  information.

 == Do not miss it! Upcoming events with the FSFE ==

We are happy to see a first local FSFE meet-up happening in Madrid,
Spain, on February 22 [16] and on March 3 [17]. We wish all participants
to spend their time at the meet-up in a positive and fruitful manner. If
you are from the area, do not miss it.

By the way: If you miss a local FSFE group in your area but you like to
start one, get in contact with our community coordinator Erik Albers
[18] who is happy to help you with the first steps.

 == Get Active ==

Have you found an interesting Free Software story online that you would
like to share? Maybe you have a question that you like to discuss with
other Free Software activists? Or you like to announce your upcoming
Free Software event or report about a recent one? Then post it on one of
our public mailing lists and share it with the community! We currently
have active public mailing lists in English [19], German [20], Spanish
[21], and Greek [22].

If you live in Italy, contact your local candidates during their current
election-campaigns, point them towards our "Public Money? Public Code!"
campaign and ask them the questions that we have also sent to the
participating parties [23] or similar ones.

 == Contribute to our newsletter ==

If you would like to share any thoughts, pictures, or news, send them to
us. As always, the address is newsletter at fsfe.org. We're looking forward
to hearing from you!

Thanks to our community, all the volunteers [24], supporters [25] and
donors [26] who make our work possible. And thanks to our translators
[27], who enable you to read this newsletter in your mother tongue.

Your editor,

Erik Albers

Join our community of freedom fighters. [28]

Free Software Foundation Europe <https://fsfe.org>
FSFE News <https://fsfe.org/news/news.en.rss>
Upcoming FSFE Events <https://fsfe.org/events/events.en.rss>
Fellowship Blog Aggregation <https://planet.fsfe.org/en/rss20.xml>