FSFE Newsletter - July 2017

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Thu Jul 13 14:45:14 CEST 2017

 = FSFE Newsletter - July 2017 =

[ Read online: https://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-201707.it.html ]

 == The FSFE now provides Git hosting for its supporters ==

Sharing one's knowledge and enhancing collaboration are core principles
of the Free Software community. Therefore, the FSFE is happy to now
provide its supporters and registered volunteers a platform to create
and manage Git repositories with a comfortable web interface under
git.fsfe.org [1].

With git.fsfe.org, the FSFE allows its supporters to share and
collaborate on a platform that fully respects their freedoms [2]. And
while users are free to use this platform for their private purposes, we
encourage every activist and local group of the FSFE to host code they
are using for their FSFE activities, and to share minutes or other
documents of FSFE group meetings, as well as any other publicly
interesting information. This way, we would like to facilitate and
stimulate collaboration, feedback and creativity inside our pan-European
community.

Official teams and working groups of the association of the FSFE will
also strive to migrate as much code and relevant files as possible to
this new platform. For example, future website development, promotional
material, and helpful scripts for the organisation's day-to-day work.
For Git beginners we explain the service in detail in the FSFE wiki [3].
Advanced users are welcome to help extending guides for the most common
Git workflows.

Find us and use, study, share and improve at git.fsfe.org [4].

Help us grow and make a difference in 2017
https://fsfe.org/join/nl2017-07 [5]

 == What else have we done? Inside and Outside the FSFE ==

- Estonia has taken over the presidency of the Council of the European
  Union and now has asked the public to comment on their proposal for
  the "Tallinn Declaration" - a set of policy proposals for the European
  digital government - to be signed by the EU ministers in October. The
  FSFE has provided its comments [6] in the first round of public
  consultation on the proposal, while participation in the second round
  for comments is currently open for everyone. We encourage you to
  participate [7] and reuse our arguments to foster Free Software and
  Open Standards in the European public digital infrastructure. The
  deadline for comments is 14 July.

- As part of our Free Your Android campaign, the FSFE explains and
  promotes [8] the use of the Free Software app repository F-Droid.
  Torsten Grote, member of the General Assembly of the FSFE and
  initiator of our FYA-campaign, shares some insights about how F-Droid
  is bringing apps to Cuba [9].

- Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote
  software freedom? The FSFE community, including the FSFE's Fellowship
  representatives, has been discussing this question on our public
  discussion list [10]. Feel free to join the discussion.

- In Zurich there was a kick-off meeting for a local Food Computer group
  [11] including the FSFE Fellowship representative, Daniel Pocock, and
  a travel sponsorship by the FSFE for Anisa Kuci to participate.

- The FSFE's program manager, Max Mehl, visited the FSFE local group
  Rhein/Main in Frankfurt, Germany, and gave a talk about "Public Money,
  Public Code".

- The FSFE team France was present with a booth at the Rencontres
  Mondiales du Logiciel Libre (RMLL) - also known as Libre Software
  Meeting (LSM) - in Saint-Etienne where our long-time supporter Cryptie
  also gave a talk about "From theoretical crypto to practice: gloups,
  something is missing" [12].

- The FSFE local group Berlin was present with a booth at the Maker
  Faire to explain visitors why tinkering heavily depends on Free
  Software.

- The FSFE local group Milano, Italy, together with Game Over Milano,
  celebrated the International Day Against DRM [13] to inform about the
  threats of DRM concerning HTML5, ebooks, music, games and much more.

- The FSFE local group Offenbach, Germany, was present with a booth at
  the Bended Realities Festival to inform about the connection of Free
  Education and Free Software.

- The FSFE local group Munich held a workshop about "What is Free
  Software?" [14] with a special focus on people who have little or zero
  knowledge about software.

 == Not to be missed! Upcoming events with the FSFE ==

- SHA is the name of a non profit outdoor Hacker camp taking place on
  August 4th to 8th, close to Amersfoort in the Netherlands. The FSFE
  country team Netherlands and friends will be present with a dedicated
  FSFE village [15]. If you happen to be around, pass by and join one of
  the various sessions, talks, workshops, projects or help singing the
  Free Software song [16].

 == Help us to improve our newsletter ==

If you see some news you think that should be included, forward it to
us. If you'd like to share any thoughts, send them to us. As always, the
address is newsletter at fsfe.org. We're looking forward to hearing from
you!

Thanks to all the volunteers [17], supporters [18] and donors [19] who
make our work possible.

Your editor,
   Erik Albers

--