FSFE Newsletter - December 2016

press at fsfeurope.org press at fsfeurope.org
Thu Dec 8 16:48:24 CET 2016

 = FSFE Newsletter - December 2016 =

[ Version en ligne: https://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-201612.fr.html ]

 == Help us now to grow bigger and make a difference in 2017 ==

This year, the FSFE celebrated its 15th birthday. 15 years of empowering
users, supporting communities, and pushing for better legislation. 15
years during which we saw that all activities, even if considered small
at the time, can become big when we work together. 15 years during which
we saw that that all activities, even if considered impossible at the
time, can succeed when we stand together. Together, we have even
succeeded against the heaviest lobbying of large interest groups. All of
this would not have been possible without the continuous support of our
community, contributing thousands of hours of their work time and
backing us financially. If you are a frequent reader of our newsletter,
and you like our work but you are not yet part of our community ... then
consider joining the FSFE!

Help us to grow bigger and make a difference in 2017:
https://fsfe.org/join[1]

 == Russian Bill makes Free Software a Public Priority ==

In mid October, the lower chamber of the Russian Federation ("Duma")
approved a bill that will boost Free Software on multiple levels within
the Russian Federation's public sector[2]. It requires the public sector
to prioritise Free Software over proprietary alternatives, gives
precedence to local IT businesses that offer Free Software for public
tenders, and recognises the need to encourage collaboration with the
global network of Free Software organisations and communities.

The legislators made an extra effort to ensure a proper use of language.
The bill talks about "Free Software", explicitly mentions the four
freedoms and even uses "GNU/Linux" to refer to the most widespread free
operating system.

As our Policy Analyst Polina Malaja puts it: "The bill is an example of
public software procurement done right."

 == What else have we done? ==

- At the beginning of October there was the annual meeting of the
  General Assembly of the FSFE[3]. On this occasion Mirko Böhm, our
  current Fellowship representative, managed to untie the knot that was
  around our ideas to start evaluating "Free Software business". The
  genius might lie in not evaluating the companies but rather their
  activities. Matthias Kirschner summarised the whole background in his
  blog "There is no Free Software company - But!"[4] and asks for
  feedback.

- After asking the political parties for the state's election in Berlin
  about their plans regarding the use and spread of Free Software[5] and
  sending them three recommendations for actions (DE)[6], we have now
  published an analysis of the coalition agreement of the new government
  in the state of Berlin (DE)[7].

- Max Mehl writes a Report of Iron and Freedom and shares his memories
  from the OpenRheinRuhr 2016[8] which took place in Oberhausen. The
  FSFE was well represented with talks by Max Mehl[9] himself, Matthias
  Kirschner[10], and Erik Albers[11], as well as an international info
  booth by German and Dutch Fellows.

- On November 12-13, the FSFE Country Team Netherlands[12] held a booth
  at T-Dose in Eindhoven[13] and organised a Dutch team-meeting in
  preparation of the upcoming elections in March.

- On November 16-17, the FSFE's Policy Analyst and Legal Coordinator
  Polina Malaja participated by giving a talk at the Open Source Summit
  2016, that took place in Paris[14].

Help us to grow bigger and make a difference in 2017:
https://fsfe.org/join[15]

- On November 23, Matthias Kirschner gave a talk for the .Net User Group
  Berlin-Brandenburg, presenting a general overview of the FSFE's
  mission and projects[16].

- Jonas Öberg, the FSFE's executive director, participated in a panel
  about Freedom of Panorama, copyright, openness and democracy in
  Linköping Sweden[17].

- The FSFE was also present with a Booth at the FIfFKon16 – in.visible
  systems[18] on November 25-27.

- On November 28-29, Georg Greve, founding president of the FSFE,
  participated in a panel with MEP Julia Reda[19], discussing the future
  of Free Software in the European institutions at DIGITEC 2016 in
  Brussels.

 == From the community ==

- Erik Albers, the FSFE's community builder, tried to reach out and
  localise our noCloud slogan[20] with translations from all over the
  world. With the amazing help of Olga Gkotsopoulou, crowdsourcing went
  pretty well and in our wiki we now have almost 40 translations in
  several languages and dialects, from Japanese, Breton and Arabic, to
  Luxembourgish and Swabian[21]. Erik summarised this activity and ways
  you can still contribute to the noCloud translations[22]. We hope to
  use these translations to offer our favorite sticker in your own
  language or dialect soon.

- For everyone working with the FSFE website, like the web team or many
  translators, Max Mehl wrote a detailed explanation of how to locally
  build the whole FSFE website and then how to quickly build single
  XHTML files locally as well[23].

- Paul Boddie discusses the various impacts of computers on our work
  time, our careers, our self-development, free time, and the potential
  fulfillment of life in his blogpost On Not Liking Computers[24].

- Tarin Gamberini offers an overview of the third monitoring after the
  adoption of Free Software PDF readers in Italian Regional Public
  Administrations[25]: ten Italian Regions have reduced advertisements
  for proprietary PDF readers on their websites.

- Iain R. Learmonth writes about PATHspider Plugins[26].

- Daniel provides us with a How-to for backing up and restoring data on
  Android devices directly via USB[27] and shares his expertise
  benchmarking microSD cards[28].

- In the light of ever more Internet of things botnets, Daniel Pocock
  starts a discussion about the security of home devices running GNU
  /Linux-based firmware[29].

 == Take action! ==

Help us now to grow bigger and make a difference in 2017[30].

 == Good Free Software news ==

Good news from public administrations in Europe and worldwide: Hungary
aims to create a standard Free-Software based PC desktop configuration
for all its ministries and central government departments[31]. A
parliament resolution[32] urging the government to draft a migration
plan to Free Software solutions was adopted by the Parliament of Navarre
in Spain. France has added source code to the list of state documents
covered by freedom of information laws[33], but introduces a new
exception if disclosure would threaten government security[34].

Good news on European level: A Free Software FIWARE platform[35], funded
by the European Commission creates new IoT opportunities for businesses,
while the Joint Research Centre (JRC), as part of its active Free
Software distribution policy, released Free Software for forestry and
Internet risk awareness[36].

Under the light of the Transatlantic Open Data Partnership between EU-
US, a new R library for economic data was developed and published on
GitHub[37].

And finally, in 2016, Linux has been running on 99,6%, or 498 out of the
top 500 fastest supercomputers in the world[38].

 == Help us to improve our newsletter ==

Do you think we have missed some news, or you'd like specific news to
appear in the next newsletter? Please share this and any other feedback
by writing to newsletter at fsfe.org

Thanks to all the volunteers[39], Fellows[40] and corporate donors[41]
who enable our work,

your editors Olga Gkotsopoulou and Erik Albers, FSFE[42]

PS: Because of the holiday season there will not be a newsletter in
January.

 === S'abonner à la lettre d'information mensuelle de la FSFE ===

- Lettres d’actualité[43]

- Dernières nouvelles[44]

- Évènements à venir[45]

- Blogs du planète[46]

- Discussions du Logiciel Libre[47]

Faire un don[48]

 === À propos de la FSFE ===

La Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE : Fondation européenne pour le
Logiciel Libre) est une organisation dédiée à la promotion des Logiciels
Libres œuvrant en faveur de la *liberté* dans la société de
l'information.

L'accès aux logiciels est déterminant dans la participation de chacun à
la société numérique. Les libertés d'utiliser, copier, modifier et
redistribuer[49] les logiciels permettent donc d'assurer *l'égalité* de
tous dans la participation à l'ère de l'information, ce qui est capital
!

 == En savoir plus[50] Faire un don ==

La Free Software Foundation Europe est une organisation non-
gouvernementale à but non-lucratif. Notre travail[51] est rendu possible
grâce à une communauté de volontaires[52], de Fellows[53] et de
donateurs[54]. Vos dons sont vitaux pour notre force et notre autonomie.
Ils nous permettent de continuer à défendre les Logiciels Libres partout
où cela est nécessaire et en toute indépendance.

    - Faire un don[55]   Free Software Foundation Europe[56]  À
      propos[57]

    - Notre action[58]

    - Campagnes[59]

    - Contribuer[60]

    - Nous contacter[61]

-

    - Faire un don[62]  Nous soutenir[63]

    - Boutique[64]

    - Nos donateurs[65]

        - La Fellowship[66]  Adhérer[67]

        - Carte[68]

        - Questions[69]

    -

-

    - Campagnes[70]  Document Freedom Day[71]

    - Libérez votre Android ![72]

    - Lecteurs PDF[73]

    - Questionnez vos candidats[74]

    - DRM.info[75]

-

    - Dernières nouvelles[76]  Espace presse[77]

    - Lettres d’actualité[78]

    - Blogs du planète[79]

    - Évènements à venir[80]

-

    - Assistance juridique[81]  Services et fiducie[82]

    - Documentation[83]

    - Réseau juridique[84]

    - Conférences[85]

-

    - Logiciel Libre[86]  Définition[87]

    - Société libre[88]

    - Éducation[89]

    - Économie[90]

-

Dernière modification : 2016-12-08 16:29:55 (automatic)

- Code source[91]

- S’impliquer dans l’équipe Web[92]

Traduire cette page ?[93]

Copyright © 2001-2015 Free Software Foundation Europe[94].

- Contactez-nous[95]

- Mentions légales[96] / Politique de confidentialité[97] / Transparency
  Commitment[98]

La reproduction exacte et la distribution intégrale de cet article est
permise sur tout support, pourvu que cette notice soit préservée.

--
Free Software Foundation Europe <https://fsfe.org>
FSFE News <https://fsfe.org/news/news.en.rss>

  1. https://fsfe.org/join/nltr16