FSFE Newsletter – February 2015

press at fsfeurope.org press at fsfeurope.org
Wed Feb 4 14:14:01 CET 2015

 = FSFE Newsletter – February 2015 =

[ Read online: https://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-201502.es.html ]

 == I ♥ Free Software ==

Come February 14 and our website will be turning pink and heart-laden to
celebrate the creators of Free Software. We have taken the opportunity
on every Valentine's Day since 2010 to celebrate not only our loved
ones, but also the dedicated people working very hard to ensure that we
have the option to use Free Software.

You can read more about how we celebrated[1] the I ♥ Free Software Day
in 2014 to get a feel for the spirit of the occasion, and you are very
welcome to join our celebrations this year!

 == Fellowship elections ==

The Fellowship elections[2] are almost here! Three candidates ( Nicolas
Dietrich[3], Max Mehl[4], and Felix Stegerman[5] ) are vying for the
seat currently held by Repentinus[6]. Repentinus wishes them all very
well in trying to replace him, and hopes that so shall you, our dear
readers. May the best candidate win!

Voting will take place from February 20 to March 6, and all orderly
Fellows whose membership is active on February 19, 2015, 12am (UTC+1)
are allowed to vote. So there is still plenty of time to renew your
Fellowship[7] and to become able to make a difference.

 == Transitions ==

Whoever becomes the new Fellowship Representative will be joining a Core
Team[8] very different to that joined by Repentinus almost two years
ago.

First, we expect to take on Jonas Öberg[9] as Executive Director around
the same time the new Fellowship Representative will be joining the Core
Team and the General Assembly. Furthermore, later in the year when the
General Assembly will be holding its annual meeting, we will be electing
a new President. It is expected that the GA will confirm our current
Vice President Matthias Kirschner[10] as the new President. These
changes have been internally known for quite some time, but were
publicly announced[11] by our President Karsten Gerloff[12] only on
January 26.

 == Something completely different ==

- Our staffers, volunteers, and Fellows are often present at various
  Free Software gatherings. If you have always wondered what goes on at
  these conferences, then you would do well to read the report from
  Chaos Communication Congress[13], penned by our Fellowship Coordinator
  Erik Albers[14].

    - From the planet aggregation:  Paul Boddie writes[15] about the
      inadequate coverage topics like interoperability and platform
      choice have received in the past from consumer magazines. He notes
      how the advent of multiple mobile ecosystems is forcing consumer
      magazines to acknowledge the problem, and invites a major consumer
      magazine to join the push for interoperable Free Software.

    - Guido Arnold, our Education team coordinator, has posted his
      monthly collection of “ Free Software in Education News”[16] for
      December.

    - Kevin Keijzer makes the case for[17] Free Software in education as
      a human rights issue.

    - Nico Rikken argues[18] that engineering students should be taught
      to use Free Software.

    - Max Mehl writes about setting up your own URL shortener[19].

    - Felix Stegerman gives an overview of FSFE activities in
      Netherlands throughout 2014[20].

-

 == Get active: hug a developer ==

For February we would like all of you to join us in celebrating
developers of Free Software. Come 14th, please send developers,
translators, and artists e-mail, postcards, and cake, hug them (with
permission, of course), or use any other polite and creative option to
let them know just how much you appreciate them and the work they have
put into Free Software you use every day.

Thanks to all the volunteers[21], Fellows[22] and corporate donors[23]
who enable our work,
Heiki Ojasild[24]
Fellowship Representative, FSFE

--