Rising demands for Dutch digital autonomy +++ REUSE Booster +++ Torsten Grote

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Mon Jun 28 13:08:29 UTC 2021

 = Rising demands for Dutch digital autonomy +++ REUSE Booster +++ Torsten Grote =

[ Read online: https://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-202106.en.html ]

Dutch digital public services rely increasingly on monopolistic
companies; the FSFE Dutch team actively demands digital rights. In June,
we launched REUSE Booster to share legal advice with Free Software
projects on copyright. We interviewed Torsten Grote, a member of the
FSFE, who stressed the need to Free our Androids early on.

 == Dutch Digital Autonomy is undermined; demands for Free Software are rising ==

The Netherlands is becoming dependent on a digital infrastructure that
is dominated by a small number of monopolistic companies. Although the
Dutch Cyber Security Council recognises the consequent risk, their
report neglects focusing on Open Standards and Free Software, the proven
best practices to face this problem. The FSFE calls on the Dutch
government to stand firm and get a grip on their digital security and
autonomy by adhering to Open Standards and Free Software [1], in line
with their earlier commitment to use Free Software by default.

Our team emphatically defends digital rights in the Netherlands. In
2018, Jos van den Oever noticed that the 'Debat Direct' app could not be
downloaded to his Firefox OS phone. In other words, the official
application for parliamentary debates was not available under a Free
Software license. Jos' request to get the app's source code was denied,
and he brought the case to court. The Council of State ruled on 31 March
2021 that the Parliament does not have to publish the source code. As a
result, the participation app remains closed [2] to those who wish to
use only Free Software apps.

Jos van den Oever, the person behind this initiative, is a FSFE
volunteer and part of our country team Netherlands. Its members kept in
touch even during the pandemic, when they had to replace booths for
online meetings. Nico Rikken, one of the two coordinators, shares his
experiences about this transition in a blogpost, and calls anyone
interested to join the FSFE community based in the Netherlands [3].

 == REUSE Booster supports Free Software projects with licensing ==

REUSE has facilitated the licensing of Free Software projects.
Developers are given standardised ways to mark all files in a project
with their chosen license and copyright notice. A tutorial, a set of
FAQs, a helper tool, and an API have been made available to lower the
threshold and save time.

With REUSE Booster, the FSFE takes this initiative a step further. Free
Software projects can seek tailored support [4] with licensing and
copyright by legal experts now. Each project will be evaluated
individually and the recommendations will apply to its particular
situation. Register [5] until 8 July to get your Free Software project
on board.

 == 20 Years FSFE: Envisioning free operating systems in smartphones with Torsten Grote ==

In our fourth birthday publication we reminisce about the emergence of
the first smartphones. We are interviewing [6] Torsten Grote, who
explored Free Software alternatives for smartphones as early as 2012. A
programmer as well as a Free Software activist, Torsten shares his
memories of the developments of alternative operating systems and
applications for smartphones. Finally, we would not miss this chance to
ask him what options there are today for liberating our phones.

This year the FSFE celebrates its 20th anniversary. Support our work for
the next 20 years to come [7]

 == Internal: The FSFE is migrating its IRC presence to Libera Chat. ==

Learn how to join us [8]. We are moving from Freenode to Libera Chat,
following the migration of its network of volunteer staff. We share our
thoughts that led the FSFE to migrate its IRC presence.

 == What we have done ==

- On June 28th, Erik Albers, Sustainability Programme Manager of the
  FSFE, spoke at the Round Table "How do we shape and grow a green tech
  sector?" [9] organised by the Greens/EFA. In his presentation, Erik
  Albers explained the role software design plays on the environmental
  impact of digital technologies. The Round Table is part of a wider
  effort of the Greens/EFA to compose a digital green manifesto.

- On June 23rd, Lucas Lasota, FSFE Deputy Legal Coordinator and Research
  Associate at Humboldt University of Berlin, moderated a round table
  [10] on cybersecurity, human rights, and digital sovereignty together
  with Katerina Yordanova and Elisabetta Biasin from the KU Leuven
  Centre for IT & IP Law.

- On June 23rd, Irmhild Rogalla gave a talk in the FSFE Women group
  meeting about the accessibility of video conferencing tools,
  supporting a conferencing platform for all. The FSFE Women group [11]
  meets on a monthly basis, and keeps it casual while providing an open
  space to discuss recent developments in the area of Free Software.
  Often meetings focus on one specific topic.

- On June 19th, Matthias Kirschner, FSFE's President, presented [12] "20
  Years FSFE: The long way for software freedom" at the openSUSE
  Conference to inform people on our work as an independent
  organisation.

- On June 18th, Bonnie Mehring, FSFE's junior project manager, presented
  [13] "Public Money? Public Code!: A campaign framework to promote
  software freedom" at the openSUSE Conference. In the talk, she
  explained how the campaign framework can be used to push for the
  adoption of Free-Software-friendly policies in your area; be it your
  public administration, your library, your university, your city, your
  region, or your country.

- On June 16th, the Netherlands-based FSFE [14] team held its regular
  monthly meeting. The meeting is open to everybody, and can switch to
  English if not everybody understands Dutch.

- On June 10th, Erik Albers participated in the "Zukunftswerkstatt Smart
  Living" [15], where experts analyse sustainable design options for the
  ongoing digitization of our everyday life.

- On June 5th, Lina Ceballos and Alexander Sander gave a 'Public Money?
  Public Code!' workshop [16] for our Italian community members.

- On June 4th, Lucas Lasota participated at the Impropedia show [17] to
  talk about Free Software, Router Freedom, and Digital Rights. The
  event was hosted by KuZe Potsdam.

- On June 1st, Alexander Sander participated in the GnuLinuxNews-Podcast
  GLN011. He talked [18] about Free Software during the Corona crisis
  (DE).

- On June 1st, FSFE's Alexander Sander presented [19] the Public Money?
  Public Code! campaign in Netzpolitischer Abend, organised by Digitale
  Gesellschaft, and stressed that there are now no political excuses not
  to implement the concept.

- On May 27th, the FSFE Berlin local group met for their regular meeting
  which focuses on Education. Miriam from "Die Lernwerkstatt" introduced
  this organisation and gave a talk on the design of digital learning
  with tips on related platforms and techniques. A group discussion
  followed. In the Berlin Fellowship group, everyone is invited to
  discuss "Free Software and Education", share experiences, and work on
  liberating knowledge and education in Berlin and beyond.

- On May 26th, Alexander Sander gave a talk [20] explaining why and how
  public administrations should use Free Software. He highlighted the
  benefits of this practice for public administrations, the economy and
  the society. The current procurement models and an outlook for the
  coming years were discussed.

 == Get active ==

Pack your T-shirt and educate those around you on the definition of Free
Software during your summer holidays. If we have the right to use,
study, share, and improve it, then it is Free Software. Our T-shirts are
made of 100% organic cotton, and our collection [21] includes a variety
of colours and slogans.

 == Contribute to our newsletter ==

If you would like to share any thoughts, pictures, or news, please send
them to us. As always, the address is newsletter at fsfe.org. We're looking
forward to hearing from you! If you also want to support us and our
work, join our community and support us with a donation or a monthly
contribution [22]. Thanks to our community and all the volunteers,
supporters, and donors who make our work possible. And thanks to our
translators, who enable you to read this newsletter in your native
languages.

Your editor, Fani Partsafyllidou

The biggest financial impact the FSFE faces in these times of physical
distancing is the cancellation of Free Software conferences, including
our own events. To keep the software freedom movement solid and alive,
please consider donating a part of your conference budget to Free
Software organisations, including the FSFE [23].

Discuss this [24]

--
Free Software Foundation Europe <https://fsfe.org>
FSFE News <https://fsfe.org/news/news.en.rss>