FSFE Newsletter July 2019

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Wed Jul 24 11:36:49 UTC 2019

 = FSFE Newsletter July 2019 =

[ Read online: https://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-201907.en.html ]

In this month's newsletter, we pay special attention to our new
Testimonials page and the freshly prepared summary of the FSFE's annual
Legal Licensing Workshop that took place in Barcelona. Further down, you
can discover the upcoming events we are participating in and hosting, as
well as see some visual details about how and where we managed to
promote and extend the use of Free Software around Europe.

 == The Testimonials ==

FSFE is a charity dedicated to empowering users to control technology.
Together with our community we form a movement across Europe to build
our digital societies on users' and software freedom. Although there
will never be enough space to shed light on all the creative minds and
motivated people who have helped us grow our movement and live out our
mission, we would still like to highlight at least some of our highly-
valued community members who have in one way or another shaped the
FSFE's profile and who continuously helped us become what we are today.

In the past month, the FSFE has worked on the Testimonials page. This
page is part of a series of interviews with FSFE supporters and friends
who wanted to share their excitement for being part of such a diverse
group of people and volunteers who shape the FSFE community across
Europe while achieving our mission [1]. One of the first entries is by
our French supporter and privacy expert, Cryptie, who has been using
Free Software for 15 years, and has been an active part of the FSFE
community for the last 6 years. You can find more such interviews,
videos and testimonials on our Testimonials page [2]. Enjoy getting to
know our community!

 == The Legal and Licensing Workshop 2019 ==

A big aspect of Free Software use and deployment goes through the often
confusing webs of legislation. One of our big initiatives to improve
understanding of Free Software legal issues is the Legal Licensing
Workshop, a closed conference that we organise annually for the members
of the FSFE's Legal Network. Every year, many of lawyers from Europe and
all over the world attend this conference to exchange knowledge, present
best practices and discuss issues surrounding Free Software licensing.
With up to three days of talks in an informal and confidential
atmosphere, the Workshop advances the state of the art of knowledge on
topics ranging from licence compliance to patent management, from
project governance to corporate responsibility.

Participation to the Free Software Legal and Licensing Workshop provides
legal professionals not only the opportunity to share knowledge and
updates on the topics they are working on, but also a chance to meet and
get acquainted with each other. These two aspects, combined, foster
better licence compliance by spreading best practices. The conference
also provides a forum for different professionals to better understand
each other, thus reducing the overall friction in the sector.

The FSFE has prepared a short summary [3] of this year's Workshop. You
can also find information on past years editions, if you are curious.

Join our community: https://fsfe.org/join/nl2019-07 [4]

 == Do not miss: upcoming events with the FSFE ==

As with every month, we are trying to spread the word and help
individuals and organisations understand what Free Software is and how
Free Software contributes to freedom, transparency, and self-
determination. If you are interested in seeing us in action and to join
our cause, keep in mind the following dates and locations in the coming
months:

- Between August 10 and 11, the FSFE Policy Manager Alexander Sander
  will promote the "Public Money? Public Code!" initiative to the
  FrOSCon audience in Bonn, Germany.

- Between August 21st and 25th the FSFE will host an assembly [5] at the
  Chaos Communication Camp in Mildenberg, Germany. The assembly will be
  part of about:freedom [6], a cluster with a focus on digital (human)
  rights politics, freedom of information and Free Software advocacy. It
  is a union of different and diverse organisations from all over the
  world promoting Free Software and defending and extending digital
  rights. There will be workshops on-site and information materials. If
  you are coming to the camp, drop by and have a chat with us!

- Between August 24th and 25th, you will have another chance to see our
  booth at the second Veganmania festival in Vienna, Austria.

 == What have we done? Inside and Outside the FSFE ==

Since the last newsletter we have been very active in promoting the Free
Software cause, by helping individuals and organisations have a better
understanding of what Free Software is and encouraging them to develop
and implement it in their lives. We want to share with you the events we
have photos and videos for, below:

- The FSFE Policy Manager Alexander Sander gave a talk and attended a
  panel discussion during the Church Days in Dortmund between June 19th
  and 23rd about Free Software. You can see the full report [7] on the
  event and the talks. Throughout those days Alex also hosted two
  workshops for beginners on how to use and operate with the Open Street
  Map and how to use and edit on Wikipedia.

- The FSFE Programme Manager Max Mehl explained how Free Software can be
  the solution to many security problems at Pass the SALT on July 3rd,
  in Lille, France. You can watch his entire presentation on our mirror
  [8].

- Long-time FSFE volunteer Reinhard Müller gave a presentation at Tübix
  [9] about the development of web applications he used successfully for
  the development of the new online FSFE community portal [10] on July
  6th, in Tübingen, Germany.

- On July 22nd, the Franken community of the FSFE and the Nuremberg
  Hackerspace hosted a joint lecture [11] about the basics and common
  misunderstandings of Free Software in Nuremberg, Germany.

 == Editor's choice ==

In the month of July you can see some technical and other not so
technical findings by members of the FSFE's Planet community [12]:

- Albert Astals offers some new KDE application branches [13]

- Evaggelos Balaskas shared his notes on the idea to use nested-Kernel-
  based Virtual Machine to run minikube inside a Virtual Machine, so
  that minikube will create a Kernel-based Virtual Machine node, upon an
  Ubuntu 18.04 LTS [14].

- Matija Šuklje (Hook) shares the results of the analysis he did on the
  most commonly used licenses in OpenAPI [15]

 == Get Active ==

Do you want to see our newsletter also available in your language, so
you can share the news with peers in your country? Don't be shy and join
our team of brave translators by emailing us at contact at fsfe.org [16].

 == Contribute to our newsletter ==

If you would like to share any thoughts, pictures, or news, send them to
us. As always, the address is newsletter at fsfe.org [17]. We're looking
forward to hearing from you!

If you also want to support us and our work, join our community and
support us with a donation or a monthly contribution:
https://my.fsfe.org/support [18]

Thanks to our community, all the volunteers [19], supporters [20] and
donors [21] who make our work possible. And thanks to our translators
[22], who enable you to read this newsletter in your mother tongue.

Your editor,

Galia Mancheva

Join our community: https://fsfe.org/join/nl2019-07 [23]

Free Software Foundation Europe <https://fsfe.org>