FSFE Newsletter November 2018

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Wed Nov 21 20:10:19 UTC 2018

 = FSFE Newsletter November 2018 =

[ Read online: https://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-201811.el.html ]

 == Software Freedom in Europe ==

For 17 years, the FSFE has been empowering people to have control over
their technology, and we get better at it every year. To help you
understand how we work and what we do, we have just published "Software
freedom in Europe" [1], the yearly report about the FSFE and our
activities.

The report gives you a breakdown of important things the FSFE has
achieved during the last 12 months in one document. In the 2018 report,
you will read about several campaigns, our input on the European Union's
copyright reform, and about our successful outreach in demanding
publicly financed software be made publicly available under a Free
Software licence. You will also get insights about the multiple events
we (co-)organised, about our community and groups that helped us with
these achievements. Finally, we will display some numbers showing what
resources we counted on, and giving an outlook for the next year.

If you like our report, please share it on your favorite (social) media
channels and mailing lists, among your colleagues, friends and families.

Join our community of freedom fighters! [2]

 == What else have we done? Inside and Outside the FSFE ==

- A large part of the FSFE team was present at the SFScon in Bolzano,
  Italy, with a booth. The FSFE's president Matthias Kirschner gave a
  talk about how "Technology shapes democracy" [3] and our EU public
  policy programme manager Alexander Sander hosted a policy workshop.

- Bits&Bäume is a conference to bring together actors of different
  sustainability and digital right movements. The FSFE local group
  Berlin was present with a booth and Erik Albers gave a talk about
  software as a digital resource [4], Christian Nähle about Free
  Software in municipalities [5] and Bernhard Reiter about paying for
  freedom [6].

- In the third consecutive year, the FSFE coordinators Spain were
  running a booth at OSHWDem, a fair about Free Software and free
  hardware. On this occasion, the creation of a FSFE local group in
  Northern Spain was announced, as well as a translation team for the
  Galician language. If you are interested to join one of them, please
  get in contact with Pep Diz [7].

- At this year's Linux Day Italy, the FSFE Local Group Sicilia hosted an
  event [8] with Giuseppe Bonocore, member of FSFE local group Milano,
  who gave an introduction about the FSFE and the state of the art of
  Free Software for "Microservices, dev-ops and silverbullet". At the
  same time, the FSFE local group Milano was also hosting an event in
  Milano [9] about Free Software and open source culture, together with
  local associations where Stefano Costa gave a talk about "Libera il
  tuo router!" (Free your router).

- Paul Boddie writes about [10] how he learned to publish applications
  through F-Droid and encourages everyone to do likewise: "The process
  was smooth and people were friendly and happy to help".

- Björn Schießle writes about his set-up of Zim [11], and how that helps
  him keep being organised.

- Diderik van Wingerden proposes an alternative entrepreneurial-based
  innovation model [12] that he believes has the potential to be good
  for people and the planet by design.

 == Get Active ==

Towards the end of the year, many people are open to join or support a
cause they believe in or they believe to do good. If you liked our
annual report [13] and the work we are doing, please spread the word
about it. You can for example share our report on your favorite (social)
media channels and mailing lists, amongst your colleagues, friends and
families. If you are not a supporter of the Free Software Foundation
Europe yet, please consider doing so [14] and strengthening the European
Free Software movement. Help yourself by making the process of
understanding or explaining the importance of Free Software easier for
yourself with our promotion material [15]. Get our latest merchandise
[16] and improve your outfit for the winter season - or gift it to
someone you know during the winter celebrations.

 == Contribute to our newsletter ==

If you would like to share any thoughts, pictures, or news, send them to
us. As always, the address is newsletter at fsfe.org. We're looking forward
to hearing from you!

Thanks to our community, all the volunteers [17], supporters [18] and
donors [19] who make our work possible. And thanks to our translators
[20], who enable you to read this newsletter in your mother tongue.

Your editor,

Erik Albers

Join our community of freedom fighters! [21]

Free Software Foundation Europe <https://fsfe.org>
FSFE News <https://fsfe.org/news/news.en.rss>
Upcoming FSFE Events <https://fsfe.org/events/events.en.rss>
Fellowship Blog Aggregation <https://planet.fsfe.org/en/rss20.xml>