FSFE Newsletter May 2018

press at fsfe.org press at fsfe.org
Wed May 23 17:25:34 UTC 2018

 = FSFE Newsletter May 2018 =

[ Online lesen: https://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-201805.de.html ]

 == LLW2018: The FSFE brings together top legal experts to debate about legal and licensing issues around Free Software ==

Following a more than a decade long tradition, the FSFE once again led
its annual Free Software Legal and Licensing Workshop [1] (LLW) in
Barcelona, Spain, as a meeting point for world-leading legal experts to
debate over issues and best practices surrounding Free Software
licences. This year we decided to bring the event back to its roots and
to emphasise the "Workshop" part in its original title. Our 3-day
conference attracted around 120 legal experts and came with an
unprecedented amount of parallel tracks and interactive sessions
designed to dive into the most contentious topics in the legal world of
Free Software.

Some of the topics covered during the conference included an update on
how to build a successful legal defense strategy [2] against a copyright
troll, recommendations on how to tackle challenges of compliance in
container images [3], as well as an overview of what decades of Free
Software licensing can teach us in data sharing [4]. A more detailed
report of this important event is to come during the next weeks.

 == The FSFE community as a case study ==

Since more than 15 years, the FSFE is an enduring non-profit
organisation with a distributed network of people, who contribute their
time and effort into our common mission [5] to empower users to control
technology. That is why Giacomo Poderi chose the FSFE community [6] as
one of his cases for his research in the “Infrastructuring SuStainable
Playbour“ (ISSP) project [7]. This project investigates the
sustainability of collaborative spaces, as commons, and it focuses on
participants’ continuous contribution to the maintenance and development
of such ‘places’.

If you are contributing or contributed in the past to the FSFE's mission
and you feel fine with being interviewed, please get in touch with
Giacomo Poderi. No automated data gathering is involved in this research
and no sensitive data are expected to be collected. Furthermore,
anonymity of participants will be preserved in any dissemination
activity related to this research.

Join our community of freedom fighters. [8]

 == What else have we done? Inside and Outside the FSFE ==

- While you better not start using Facebook in the first place,
  currently many people decide to move away from Facebook. Sebastian
  Schauenburg writes about his own experience of "Disconnecting from
  Facebook" [9].

- Evaggelos Balaskas blogs about USBGuard [10] and other measurements to
  protect your system from the harmful attach of an unknown USB device.

- Daniel Pocock runs a crowdfunding campaign to help run a ham radio
  station at OSCAL 2018 [11] and blogs about initial problems with
  GoFundMe [12] beforehand.

- Erik Albers was on a panel about "The Sustainable Side of Technology"
  [13], organized by GreenBuzz in Betahaus in Berlin, Germany.

- Matthias Kirschner gave a talk at the Internet policy forum of the
  social-democratic party in Germany in Berlin, Germany.

- The FSFE has been present with a booth at the OpenTechSummit and at
  Netzfest in Berlin (Germany) and Corso Leopold in Munich (Germany)

 == Get Active ==

We have been running a call for participation [14] for the FSFE track
during the Libre Software Meeting 2018 and the FSFE's community meeting
from July 7 to 9 in Strasbourg, France. Thanks to numerous submissions
we still need to set the last details of the agenda, but you can already
get a first glance of our track as well as the most important
information about accommodation and organisation on our wiki-page [15].

If you like to join the Libre Software Meeting and our community meeting
be quick to organise your trip and book a suitable hotel. We expect many
people to attend the event, while Strasbourg attracts a lot of visitors
during the summer weekends in general.

 == Contribute to our newsletter ==

If you would like to share any thoughts, pictures, or news, send them to
us. As always, the address is newsletter at fsfe.org [16]. We're looking
forward to hearing from you!

Thanks to our community, all the volunteers [17], supporters [18] and
donors [19] who make our work possible. And thanks to our translators
[20], who enable you to read this newsletter in your mother tongue.

Your editor,

Erik Albers

Join our community of freedom fighters. [21]

Free Software Foundation Europe <https://fsfe.org>
FSFE News <https://fsfe.org/news/news.en.rss>
Upcoming FSFE Events <https://fsfe.org/events/events.en.rss>
Fellowship Blog Aggregation <https://planet.fsfe.org/en/rss20.xml>