[Fsfe-se] [jeremiah: Re: [diskussion] Microsofts nya hot.]

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah at mail.jeremiahfoster.com
Thu May 17 21:11:44 CEST 2007

Umm, you just repeated what I said. Here is my quote, verbatim:

> > Contrast this position with debian where all that is required is
> > can be elected leader.

I will re-iterate: Lack of tranparency in proceedings of FSFE exists at nearly all levels.

Where are the minutes from the board meetings?
Where is the criteria for getting elected to country teams?
Where is the criteria for getting elected to the team?
Is there a mission statement saying that regular votes are held for elected positions?
What is the difference between the "GA" and the "Team"?

In fact, the FSFE says they want a "structure that will allow transparency, plurality
and participation." However what that means is unclear. For example, can any member
become "President"? If not, why not? When is the election? Who votes? If you have
answers to these questions they ought to be publically available.

Frankly the "Self-conception" page is vague, thereby thwarting any transparency.
For example, the last section called "Decision Processes" offers not one single
concrete demonstration of which office makes executive descision, who is directly
responsible for policy, or how that policy gets formed. It merely says things like;

"The people of the Free Software Foundation Europe believe in consensus. We always
seek to base our work on the consensus -- and sometimes compromise -- of our active members."
Frankly, this is not just redundant, but meaningless. Yes you want consensus - but what
quorum is required? Consensus amongst whom? Just the members or the GA? Is there a plurality
needed or can one person say "Nope, lets not sue Microsoft! I want out!"

A simple, clear answer to those questions would server the fellows well. As it is it seems like
FSFE is just an extension of the FSF designed to prevent a non-FSF group from co-opting or forming
a group in Europe that might duplicate or obviate the FSF.

	Jeremiah