[Fsfe-se] Jabber official meeting

Henrik Sandklef sandklef at fsfeurope.org
Thu Aug 23 13:10:32 CEST 2007

Sicknes at home. Short answers, will do my best

Jeremiah Foster skrev:
> On Aug 22, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Henrik Sandklef wrote:

>> Can anyone without a proven skill get inside Debian?
> No.

Same for FSFE.

> conference. But it is unlikely that someone like that would get
> involved in the first place, which I think is your point.

So you likely have to have proven skills.

Same for FSFE.

>>> I will continue to participate with the
>>> FSFE but I have never seen a Fellow of the FSFE at any FSFE meeting
>>> (side from yourself) and Jonas.
>> I have.

> snip

> I cannot tell the difference between a fellow and a non-fellow at the
> meetings, or anywhere else.

OK. How did you know then?  :)

> The meetings have always been open to
> all. I want them to remain that way, including Jabber.

All meetings will remain as they are.

> But now they will just be for fellows, at least on Jabber.Why this
> change in policy?

We're looking at other ways for this meeting. You just agreed to using
IRC on another channel.

>>> Debian is free as in
>>> beer to use and join.
>> OK, I didn't know that. I thought it was hard to get in and do for
>> example work on their softwares
>>
> Yes of course, but still, if you have the competency, you get in
> without having to pay money.

To join the Fellowship you have to pay.

To join FSFE you don't have to pay.

> But it is the fellowship that gets the special perks, the meetings on
> Jabber for example. So you cannot get 'real' membership in the FSFE
> without paying.

To join the Fellowship you have to pay.

To join FSFE you don't have to pay.

>> There are other ways of influencing FSFE. Emails are one them.
>> Attending
>> meetings another. Helping out with work yet another. Sponsorship even
>> yet another.
>
> I have done all of those things, yet cannot participate in the Jabber
> meeting.

Fellowship meetings are for fellows.

If you want to influence FSFE* you are free to use phone, email.

*) you are influencing FSFE right now.

>>> In fact, I would make the argument that the FSFE is just a
>>> branch of the FSF
>>> and takes its marching orders from Boston.

>> Those are strong words. You are, of course, free to make that
>> argument.
>
> I agree, they are strong words, but this is the appearance from the
> outside.

I think that this is the way you see it, not necessarily "the  appearance".

> Lets face it, Richard Stallman has a strong personality - I would
> argue that you would have to have a strong personality to do what he
> does. But there are other voices in the Free Software world, Linus
> Torvalds for example, and perhaps the FSFE might act as a counter
> weight to some of the more extreme, and damaging, opinions and
> policies from Mr. Stallman.

FSFE works to promote Free Software.

>> All the FSFs out there (Latin America, India, North America,
>> Europe) are
>> different organisations that, of course, synchronise every now and
>> then.
>> We all share the same goals.
>
> But different how?
> Where are the concrete differences?
Different legal bodies. Different boards.
... different continents where we do our work.

> Can the FSFE
> make a decision that contradicts the FSF?
Yes, but i'd prefere to sync....

> What if the FSFE hired Eben
> Moglen for example?
We can hire the people we'd like to work with.

/hesa