Problems with Frimedia - was: [Fsfe-se] FSFE-möte på tisdag (2006-02-07) i Göteborg

Jeremiah Foster jeremiah.foster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 23:16:46 CET 2006

I think Frimedia lacks a mission, it lacks transparency, and it lacks
clarity. What is at issue is;

	- Why Frimedia?
	- Who is responsible?
	- How does the ordinary person get involved?

Right now the web site does not answer those questions, mostly because
Frimedia itself does not know the answers. Is Frimedia the organ of
libre.se? Is it the public face of a group of föreningar that promote
free software and culture? Is it a alternative source of cultural
criticism? Is it a free software news channel? A Gnuheter clone? A
Swedish Slashdot?

These things need to be decided and clarified. A responsible redaktor
needs to be named who can field contacts from the outside world should
there be the need, and a clear path shown to those who would like to
participate. People need to be able to do more than just leave comments.

The last thing we need is the smothering bureaucracy of a föreningen but
we do need to know there is some sort of structure and shared
responsibility should Henrik have to stop carrying the entire workload.

I say;
	- Define Frimedia's purpose
	- Clarify who stands behind Frimedia and its role in the world
	- Encourage more openness and participation from the community

My suggestions;

Why couldn't we have a rotating redaktor? A different person would have
the lion's share of responsibility for six months, or a topic chosen for
deeper presentation. What about releasing a tar ball of the entire site
to others and say that the most useful technical feature added by _any_
hacker would get included in the new revision?

More than anything, Frimedia needs a compelling vision so that others
join the cause. It can be that, it many ways it has been that, but if we
look at the poll numbers from Sunday's poll showing 88 percent of Swedes
are for bugging . . . well, we have a lot of work to do.

Jeremiah