[Fsfe-se] GNU biz

Jonas Oberg oberg at fsfeurope.org
Thu Mar 31 15:39:26 CEST 2005

Jeremiah Foster wrote:

> (-) Occasionally provides services for specific proprietary programs
> that do obscure jobs, in conjunction with Free Software.
>
> (--) Normally provides services for specific proprietary programs that
> do obscure jobs, in conjunction with Free Software.
>
> Exclusion: Any other support for proprietary programs.
>
> Ouch! Does this mean you cannot install SAMBA because it can be
> considered support for Server Message Block from MS? Or does this mean
> that you can support Evolution because it runs on Windows? Or does this
> mean that you cannot support Outlook?

No, I'm pretty sure this is not the intent. Support in this regard
likely means support given to end users and companies, not support
between pieces of software. So installing and maintaining Samba and
Evolution should of course be allowed.

 From what I read, this section deals more with the scenario of a
company installing, for instance, Oracle on Free Software platforms.
This might be okay occasionally, but if the company is an Oracle Service
Provider, for instance, that might be grounds to exclude the company
from the network since they would then be supporting the increased use
of proprietary software.

--
Jonas Öberg
Free Software Foundation Europe