[Fsfe-ie] PM campaign in Ireland - first steps

Ben North ben at redfrontdoor.org
Wed Feb 15 21:44:49 CET 2017

Hi Luke,

Thanks for pulling all this information together.

3) The LGMA OPSC seems to be on the right track:

>     http://www.lgma.ie/en/OSPC

This is encouraging; I wonder whether there are up-to-date reports on how
those projects are going.

Also encouraging was an event from March 2016, which I passed on to the
FSFE list at the time:

- - - - 8< - - - -

The Office of Public Works recently organised a day-long seminar 'Open for
Business v.2.0' [edited 20170215: Looks like it was jointly organised with
the Irish Software Innovation Network:
http://www.isin.ie/go/news_events/events/open-for-business-v-2-0] with the
following speakers:

Keynote Speaker: Mark Taylor, Sirius
Martin Troy, Dept. of Public Expenditure & Reform /  Eoin Mc Cuirc, Central
Statistics Office:  Open Data in Ireland
Tim Willoughby, LGMA & Giovanni Tumarello, Siren:  Use of Open Source
Data Intelligence
& Case tracking in LGMA
Eoghan Mc Carthy, NUIM:  Dublin Dashboard and AIRO
Alan Mc Nab, MD of Arista networks:  Why Open Source is important to Arista
Dr. Mihai Bilauca, Limerick City & County Council:  How Open Source changed
customer service delivery
Gijs Hillenius: Open Source across the EU [http://www.hillenius.com/dublin
-2016/index.html]
Vincent Hussey, Office of Public Works:  Use of Open Source tools in river
monitoring
Ray Pierce, Garda Siochana:  Open source case tracking
Cleo O' Beirne, Revenue Commissioners:  Enterprise Search tools
Closing Locknote: Joe Dromgoole, MongoDB:  NoSQL

The seminar took place on 2 March [2016] and had the tagline 'open source,
open standards and open data'.

Summaries of some of the talks:

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/open-source-
lets-irish-taxes-scale-it-solutions
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/ireland-national-library-
open-source-everywhere
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/%E2%80%98ope
n-source-essential-government-modernisation%E2%80%99