[Fsfe-ie] IFSO meeting Tuesday 25th February

Ben North ben at redfrontdoor.org
Mon Feb 24 21:10:11 CET 2014

Hi,

We will be holding our February IFSO meeting tomorrow evening:

    Irish Free Software Organisation
    Tuesday 25 February 2014, starting 8pm
    Long Stone pub, Townsend Street, Dublin 2

One topic for discussion will be how we can exploit some recent
success stories for Free Software in other European countries to push
software freedom in public bodies in Ireland.  See below.

Hope to see you there!

Ben.

- - - - 8< - - - -

Via FSF list:

The Italian government has made free software the default choice for
public administrations. In a document published last Wednesday, the
Italian Digital Agency issued rules saying that all government
organisations in the country must consider using free software before
buying licenses for proprietary programs.

https://fsfe.org/news/2014/news-20140116-01.en.html

- - - - 8< - - - -

Via FSFE list:

The city of Munich successfully completed their GNU/Linux migration with
14.800 PCs[6]. They also announced that they will continue their
advocacy work for Free Software[7]. EC's Joinup reports that public
administrations in the Netherlands who use Free Software spend 24% less
than the ones who do not[8]. In Denmark public libraries are switching
to GNU/Linux, and are demanding a complete free admin system. Carsten
Agger, our local coordinator for Aahrus/Denmark, is involved in
providing this system[9].

  6. https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/news/munich-open-source-switch-completed-successfully
  7. https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/munich-continue-open-source-advocacy-work
  8. https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/oss-use-dutch-town-lowers-it-cost-24-vs-peers
  9. https://blogs.fsfe.org/agger/2014/01/07/bibos-admin-admin-system-for-gnulinux-to-be-presented-at-fosdem/

Noted by Jen:

The UK Cabinet Office minister wants to move the govt to libre/openoffice:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/29/uk-government-plans-switch-to-open-source-from-microsoft-office-suite