[Fsfe-ie] FSFE Newsletter - April 2009

Free Software Foundation Europe press at fsfeurope.org
Mon May 11 18:09:10 CEST 2009

Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) Newsletter - April 2009

Do you know one thing that makes Free Software sustainable? You! Yes, it
is your support that allows us to operate across the whole Europe and at
different levels to promote and defend Free Software principles.
Amongst other things, your donations made possible the planning and
coordination of the Second European Licensing and Legal Workshop. They
allowed the Austrian team to participate in many public events across
the whole Austria and to continue having an intern in our Zurich office.

We finished the accounting work for the last year and we published our
financial figures. Take a look at them to see how we use your donations.

I want to conclude by introducing a couple of changes in the newsletter.
I hope they will improve your 'reading experience' of FSFE's ongoing
work. First, "In the spotlight" is a new section where I will treat in more
details a selected news. Second, since time passes by and the events
pile up, I will pick-up a noteworthy item from the past and mention it
under the "It happened in the past" section.

						Giacomo Poderi

1. Second European Licensing and Legal Workshop for Free Software, 23-24 April
2. FSFE at WIPO's 3rd Session of the Committee on Development and Intellectual Property
3. FSFE amicus brief to European Patent Office on Software Patents
4. The Fellowship interviews: Myriam Schweingruber
5. FSFE welcomes Thomas Jensch, new intern for Zurich office
6. Fellowship vote for GA seats - the election is ongoing
7. Renewal of Fellowship services
8. PDFreaders.org enjoys continued success
9. FSFE invades Austria

IN THE SPOTLIGHT

10. FSFE - Income and Expense 2008

IT HAPPENED IN THE PAST

11. The first Fellowship Smartcards

UPCOMING EVENTS

12. FSFE at eLiberatica 2009, 22-23 May

1. Second European Licensing and Legal Workshop for Free Software, 23-24 April

The second European Licensing and Legal Workshop was a resounding
success. On 23 and 24 April, legal experts and interested parties in
Free Software licensing gathered in Amsterdam for a vibrant event
organised by our Freedom Task Force (FTF) and sponsored by Bender von
Haller Dragsted, Blackduck, Canonical, HP and Mozilla. Harald Welte,
from gplviolations.org, says from his blog: "I have to admit that it was
a big surprise to me that the constructive atmosphere and the quality of
the presentations, panels and hallway discussions has even improved beyond
the already exceptional level last year". Indeed, the conference was
considerably bigger than in 2008, and planning is already under way for
an enhanced and even larger event in 2010.

 http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/press-release/2009q1/000233.html

2. FSFE at WIPO's 3rd Session of the Committee on Development and Intellectual Property