[Fsfe-ie] GPL query

Cathal Mc Ginley cathal.fsfeie at gnostai.org
Wed Jun 24 00:48:17 CEST 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:38:36 +0100
Malcolm Tyrrell <malcolm.r.tyrrell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would this go against the terms of the GPL?"

This is just my opinion, but I've studied the GPLv2 fairly closely.
According to "Section 3", for every binary release of the code, you
should "make available" the corresponding source. Having the source
"available for download" fulfils this under Section 3(a).

If you don't provide binaries from the latest SVN then there's no
requirement to provide access to the source code via SVN. If you *do*
provide binaries from the latest SVN, providing a downloadable archive,
an "SVN snapshot" of the latest source code, would fulfil the
requirement just as well.

In general, I don't think this policy would be a problem from a GPL
perspective, but it may annoy users and potential contributors
slightly.

   -   Cathal