[Fsfe-ie] Ireland OA Policy

Bob Jolliffe bobjolliffe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 00:30:23 CET 2009

Hi Andrew

Mostly I think you are right - deployment of openoffice (and other
free software) on windoze are easy wins, easy to justify and
potentially cost saving.  To be fair, some of these are highlighted on
the NCTE website, but there doesn't seem to be any active promotion of
them.  But I do agree with your point that seeing free software
deployment in schools simply in terms of a complete free software
'stack' - operating system, desktop, the works - misses some key
opportunities.  I'm just a bit wary of pushing the cost argument too
far.  MS can drop the price of their software as low as it takes to
compete in schools.  I notice, for example, that it has recently
extended its offer of low cost software (Euro 5 for windows, office,
plus extras) to a wider range of Irish schools.

It might be worth extending the argument further than just the
immediate school environment.  With openoffice, pupils not only get it
free at school, but can also take it home.  As the broadband
penetration increases and with increasing numbers of computer owners
at home, pupils are being encouraged to do their homework on
wordprocessors, even submitting via systems like Moodle.  By providing
and encouraging the use of openoffice, schools might not only be
saving on their own budget, but also significantly reducing the cost
of learning to pupils - or pehaps reducing the 'piracy' rate :-)

Cheers
Bob