No subject

Mon Apr 27 09:29:09 CEST 2009

Session" (CDIP/3) at World Intellectual Property Organization
(WIPO). In preparation to that meeting, Georg published "The case for
a World Innovation Policy Organisation", reflecting on the current
significance of the WIPO Development Agenda and how it should relate
to international issues such as the one of software patents. Issues
that Georg raised at CDIP/3 as three formal intervention on FSFE's behalf
throughout the week.

 http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=321
 http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=327
 http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=333
 http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=340
 http://fsfe.org/projects/wipo/

3. FSFE amicus brief to European Patent Office on Software Patents

Along with many other organisations, FSFE submitted its comments to
the European Patent Office (EPO) on the patentability of software,
responding to a request of the Enlarged Board of Appeal. In the
submission, FSFE explains why software patents are harmful for
innovation, competition and economy, based also on the rationale of
the work done at WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Patents (SCP)
in March.

 http://fsfe.org/projects/swpat/epo-response-042009.html
 http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=302

4. The Fellowship interviews: Myriam Schweingruber

Myriam Schweingruber is the Fellow interviewed for "The smallest unit
of freedom" series. Myriam is a devoted Free Software advocate with a
flair for convincing people. Having worked as a translator, a school
teacher and a pharmacist, Myriam is quite experienced in the art of
communication, and gives a clear impression of trustworthiness. In the
interview she tells us about her experiences with Whilhelm Tux,
Amarok, KDE, FSFE and Free Software in general.

 http://blogs.fsfe.org/fellowship-interviews/?p=46

5. FSFE welcomes Thomas Jensch, new intern for Zurich office

We are happy to welcome Thomas Jensch as our new intern in the Zurich
office.  Thomas is a political science student at the University of
Leipzig in Germany.  His job during the next 8 months will be to help
us in administrative work and to support the President in coordinating
his various activities.  Once again, welcome on board Thomas!

Doing an internship at FSFE is an exciting and formative experience.
If you want to be our next intern, take a look at:

 http://fsfe.org/contribute/internship.html

6. Fellowship vote for GA seats - the election is ongoing

The voting period for the first seat at our General Assembly (GA)
reserved to a Fellow is approaching. The four candidates: Torsten
Grote, Jan-Hendrik Peters, Michel Roche, and Björn Schiessle presented
themselves to the whole Fellowship. You can get to know them by
visiting their blogs and our wiki election page. The approaching and
important dates are: the entire month of May as the voting period and
the 1 June 2009, when we will announce the results. All our Fellows
already received an e-mail containing information and instructions on
the voting procedures.

 http://wiki.fsfe.org/election09
 http://fsfe.org/news/2009/news-20090411-01.html

7. Renewal of Fellowship services

The work on the new Fellowship technological infrastructure is going
on.  Last month, we completed the migration from the old Fellowship
portal to the new site http://fellowship.fsfe.org (for more
information about moving your data: http://wiki.fsfe.org/OldPortal)
and we activated the new home page, registration procedure and account
management pages.  You can find an overview of the active Fellowship
services at http://wiki.fsfe.org/FellowshipServices and stay informed
about their status following the "Fellowship News" blog at:

 http://fellowship.fsfe.org/news/
 http://fellowship.fsfe.org/news.rss

8. PDFreaders.org enjoys continued success

PDFreaders.org was launched less than six months ago, as a Fellowship
project to promote Free Software PDF readers for all the major
platforms. Since then, the website has become a formidable success,
gaining the attention of several vendors of proprietary PDF readers,
including Adobe, as well as much positive response from the community.

April saw yet another increase in traffic after an RSA security
conference, where Mikko Hypponen research officer at F-Secure referred
to PDFreaders.org in light of the recently disclosed vulnerabilities
present in Adobe Reader. Our volunteers managed to translate
PDFreaders.org into 15 languages and our Fellows are continuously
updating it.  New readers have recently been added and a major update
concerning Open Standard is approaching!

 http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10224449-83.html
 http://pdfreaders.org

9. FSFE invades Austria

Continuing the "Linuxwochen Österreich Tour" started in March, our
Austrian team spread Free Software principles to major Austrian events
for the whole April. The tour consists of six events, four of which in
April, for a total of nine days booth and six talks. Peter
Bubestinger, Deputy Coordinator Austria, held five of the speeches and
David Ayer, Austrian team member, held the one in Linz. The themes of
the talks ranged from Free Software in schools and education to future
scenarios on Free Software usage. These are the April stages of the
tour: "FLOSStag 2009", 15 April, Danube University Krems; "Linuxwochen
Wien", 16-18 April, Vienna; "Liwoli 2009", 23-25 April, University for
Art and Industrial Design Linz; "LinuxTage", 25 April, Graz.

SPOTLIGHT

10. FSFE - Income and Expense 2008

We recently published our financial figures for 2008. This has been an
intense year and as the previous ones it confirmed the growth of our
work's breadth. With 245,000 and 68,000 EUR respectively, donations
and the Fellowship programme confirmed to be vital to the sustainment
of our organisation. Once more, we would like to express our gratitude
to anyone who decided to donate or to become a Fellow. This allows us
to run our projects and to work for the diffusion and defence of Free
Software. With a total income of 383,221 EUR and an expense of 303,419
EUR, 2008 concluded with a very positive balance and this will allow
us to empower our organisation as we were planning to do since some
time now.

To manage and coordinate the ever growing base of employees and
volunteers working for us at local, national and international level
we decided to look for an Executive Director as a full-time
employee. A similar figure will also be hired to coordinate the
Fellowship programme and to overview our German area, where most of
the Fellows and our donors come from. The activities of our Freedom
Task Force (FTF) will also be strengthened and finally, we will
investigate the possibilities to extend our policy work on EU and UN
levels.  We hope you will continue to follow and to support us!

 http://fsfe.org/about/funds/2008.html

Relevant links
 http://fsfe.org/donate/thankgnus.html
 http://fellowship.fsfe.org/
 http://fsfe.org/news/2009/news-20090414-01.html

IT HAPPENED IN THE PAST

11. The first Fellowship Smartcards

It was only April 2005 when we prepared and delivered the first batch
of 250 Fellowship Smartcards. Since then, many more people joined the
Fellowship and many more Smartcards have been delivered.

  http://fellowship.fsfe.org/card.html

UPCOMING EVENTS

12. FSFE participates to eLiberatica 2009, 22-23 May

Georg will talk about the challenges of the traditional
standardisation system, the role of patenting and the mechanisms that
allow us to cope with legal issues at eLiberatica 2009. One of the
biggest events discussing Free Software in Eastern Europe.

 http://www.eliberatica.ro/2009/index

You can find a list of all FSFE newsletters on
 http://fsfe.org/news/newsletter.html

You can join the Fellowship and find how to support us on
 http://fellowship.fsfe.org/join
 http://fsfe.org/contribute/contribute.html

Copyright (C) FSFE.  Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire
article is permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.