[Fsfe-ie] Software patents to be studied again at EPO

Ben North ben at redfrontdoor.org
Thu Jul 19 14:19:55 CEST 2007

This is the article I was trying to remember:

   http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/04/epo_pres_patent/

which as you can see was published on 20070704.  The article talks about
a meeting which was happening the next day, so we couldn't have done
anything even if I had been more timely in forwarding the article to the
list.

The new President, Alison Brimelow, has an interview up at

   http://www.epo.org/about-us/press/backgrounders/interview.html

(linked to from Register article).  She says in that interview that she
rejects the "more patents == good" argument, and talks about "the theme
of quality and fitness-for-purpose of the patent system" as one of the
challenges she faces.  Quite encouraging.

Given that we have missed that swpat meeting, should we (or FSFE) try to
find out what happened, and find out how we can participate in the
future?