[Fsfe-ie] time to act on MS's OOXML ISO application

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie
Wed Jan 24 22:03:41 CET 2007

On , January 24, 2007 at 20:42 +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> The situation is that MS have gotten their document format approved by one
> standards group (ECMA or ECEA or something), but that group isn't very
> strict and mostly requires that the application is submitted in the correct
> manner and that the fees are attached.

ECMA (and this characterisation is a bit unfair to them, though only a
bit. The situation is apparently that the terms of reference for the
committee were formulated so that they would basically have to approve
the standard - their purpose was just to agree "a formal standard for
office productivity applications [...] which is fully compatible with
the Office Open XML Formats").

http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/EOOXML_objections

> The structure of ISO is that they have a central committee plus "mirror
> committees" in the economically larger nations.  Is there a relevent mirror
> committee in Ireland?

I have seen (on the ILUG list) there are some people gathering contact
information for the Irish body (I mentioned this in a mail to the IFSO
committee earlier today, but was too busy to follow up with more
detail to the fsfe-ie list).

Also, http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/EOOXML_Contacts#IRELAND_.28NSAI.29

This appears relevant: http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/EOOXML_at_JTC-1

> Anyone got knowledge of ISO representation in Ireland?

> Anyone know of incompatibilities between OOXML and other ISO standards?
> Anyone got some very concise nasties about OOXML?

Start with the grokdoc link above, specifically (for the first question)
http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/EOOXML_objections#Ecma_376_contradicts_numerous_international_standards

Cheers,
--
Glenn Strong