[Fsfe-ie] doing a PR for the release of Vista?

Shane M. Coughlan shane at shaneland.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 15:14:33 CET 2006

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> It looks like MS have set November 30th as the release date for Vista.
> (http://apcmag.com/node/4258)
> There're two things we could do.  One would be a press release, along the
> lines of "Vista is out, time to upgrade your OS, to GNU/Linux".  The could
> be good because some journalists like to give an opposing point of view at
> the end of partisan articles - so we'd be giving them something to write.
> The more ambitious idea would be to declare it "GNU Upgrade Day".

I think that there is a lot of potential for gaining ground during this
period of time.  Windows Vista is very resource intensive.

gNewSense is one good possibility.  Novell SuSE is also committed to
being free, though I believe they intend to keep firmware.  Ditto for
Fedora.

On another note, it's great to see that XGL works well with Free graphic
drivers.  I was watching Simon Morris demo it in London recently.

Shane