[Fsfe-ie] ideas for fs promotion for world domination or was that the social good of humanity

David O'Callaghan david.ocallaghan at cs.tcd.ie
Mon May 29 12:30:52 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 28.05.06 17:21, Paul O'Malley wrote:
> It occurs to me that the evoting machines were a and continue to be a
> waste of resources. This should be rectified.
> They could be used for public good, or reassigned roles where they could
> run free software, the task may not be as hard as it seems.

I think the voting stations themselves are fairly low-end machines with
a Motorola 68000-series processor, so roughly comparable to an original
Palm Pilot.

There are a some so-called "hardened" PCs for doing the counting. One
per  constituency, I suppose. These would be more powerful and there
must be around a hundred of these. In theory, these would be installed
in some standard configuration with a reliable supply of spare parts,
and maintained for some well-defined period into the future, but I
suspect that they might get chucked out or replaced with other PCs or
repurposed in local county council offices...

> 2) Attach them to the national grid of computing resources for
> scientific research.

<plug> http://grid.ie/ </plug> :)

David