[Fsfe-ie] March 16th event with Stallman and Perens in Belfast

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Fri Feb 10 15:02:42 CET 2006

This is an unofficial announcement since not all the details are solid, but
the time is drawing close so we want everyone to know.

Richard Stallman and Bruce Perens are coming to Belfast on March 16th and
myself and others are organising a whole-day event there.  "FOSS in
Business" is the working title for the event.

The event is being tailored to appeal to IT decision makers in medium sized
business and in public administration, but it will be promoted to every kind
of free software user and potential free software user.

The plan for the event was decided back in December.  Some problems made it
stall, but those are fixed now.  So we've got great speakers and it will be
a big opportunity to for free software awareness - but the timescale doesn't
leave any more time before we have to work to spread it and get the best
audience possible.  All help there appreciated.

The venue is Spires, and it holds up to 1,000 people, so there's no
admission charge and no registration required, we just want get as many
people in there as possible.  (especially CEOs and CIOs for Bruce)

Stallman is aware that there will be a business slant, and he'll adapt to
that.  He'll either give his (rarely given) business speech "Free Software
in Ethics and Practice", or a GPLv3 speech.

As well as Northern Ireland, we'll be promoting this in the Republic and in
Great Britain.  One idea might be to organise a bus to Belfast from
somewhere / some places in the south?

Keep in mind that this hasn't been formally announced, so some changes can
still be made, but the date and the two keynoters are set, and the other
details mentioned here are fairly set.  There will be other speakers, but
who they are is not set.

The official announcement should happen in the next few days, but if there
are any suggestions or questions, now would be a great time.

--
Ciarán O'Riordan, _________|  Support free software: join FSFE's Fellowship
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ |   & encourage others to do so: http://fsfe.org