[Fsfe-ie] IBEC requiring laptops for all secondary students.

teresahackett at eircom.net teresahackett at eircom.net
Thu Sep 1 13:24:15 CEST 2005

Hi Éibhear,

The reference to eliminating the need for schoolbooks and bags may have
come from this report. I think it's for real!

Irish Times, 26.8.2004

The Minister for Education, Mr Dempsey, should introduce legislation to
limit the weight of school books or face future litigation from adults
suffering from back pain, Fine Gael has said. Mr David Stanton, the
party's deputy spokesman on education, said research has shown that
heavy schoolbooks could lead to serious long-term back problems. "One
way of addressing this issue is to limit the size and weight of the
books the children carry", he said..."The last thing we want to see is
litigation from kids with bad backs..."

Teresa