[Fsfe-ie] IPRED-2: Current Irish criminal law

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Fri Oct 7 15:01:49 CEST 2005

James Heald <j.heald at ucl.ac.uk> writes:
> There's a useful summary of criminal provisions in current (2002)
> Irish Law for prosecuting IP-related offences at:
>
> http://www.aippi.org/reports/q169/q169_ireland_e.html
>
> It may also be useful to compare AIPPI's cross-country summary, and
> the corresponding reports from other EU countries:
>
> http://www.aippi.org/reports/q169/q169_Summary_e.html
> http://www.aippi.org/reports/q169/gr_q169_index.htm

Thanks for these.  I haven't gotten to read them yet, but these links are
appreciated.

> While we're on the subject, this book ("Knockoff") looks quite a
> powerful presentation of why strong sanctions against the worst forms
> of IP offences /are/ very necessary.
>  http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2005/10/conference-reminder-fake-book-review.html
>
> Be sure that this very emotive stuff that will be played on again and
> again at MPs and MEPs to try to stampede them into maximal sanctions.

I think IFSO would be straying from it's mission if we commented on the
types of crime that this book looks like it will justify strong sanctions
for - namely copyright violation that funds organised crime, and trademark
violation that funds organised crime or causes a public health or safety
risk.

So books like this aren't a direct threat to our position, but they will
make it difficult to get the directive thrown out, and they will cause a
problem with politicians that don't understand that there are differences
between patents, copyright, and trademarks, and with politicians that don't
understand the need for strong definitions for "commercial scale",
"organised crime", etc.

I think we should do our best to get the "IP" term out of the date.  (Trying
to get it out of the Directive is a seperate matter.)

--
Ciarán O'Riordan, ___________________/        Join the Fellowship of FSFE to
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/ _/ support the campaigns against software