[Fsfe-ie] IPRED2 letter?

Malcolm Tyrrell malcoh0l at yahoo.ie
Tue Oct 4 14:53:39 CEST 2005

Hi there.

This is a post to try to get the ball rolling again on our IPRED2
work. We need to write either a letter or a position document on
this issue. We had one mostly written:

http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/IPRED2

but, in a committee post, Ciaran observed that it had problems:

"One problem with the letter we were working on is that many EU member
states already have criminal sanctions for intentional,
commercial-scale copyright infringement. This means our SCO example
will be met with: 'Yeh, but that's the USA. EU member states already
have these provisions and I see no harm done'."

We have two good sources to work from:
FIPR: http://www.fipr.org/copyright/ipred2.html
FSFE: http://www.fsfeurope.org/projects/ipred2/ipred2.en.html

and Teresa has given us a useful overview of the Irish angle:
"There are no plans for a consultation on the implementation of
IPRED1. The responsible for IPRED2 is Anne Coleman-Dunne. [...]
she's the person to whom any letters or statements should be
addressed (maybe copied to Michael English)."

Note that we may need to work at both the Irish and European level.

The "What we can do" section of our wiki page lists:
* Ammend the directive to not be so broad
* Get the Council to throw out the Framework Decision
 (which requires unanimitiy)
* Get the Framework Decision amended
* Get some nice enforcement exceptions into the directive
(writing/using/distributing software cannot constitute a patent
infringement, or whatever)

Ciaran, can you offer an opinion on whether the letter on our wiki
page is a suitable starting point, or whether we should start from
scratch.

Good luck,

Malcolm.