[Fsfe-ie] Wiki noise (administrivia)

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie
Tue May 24 20:52:35 CEST 2005

On Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 11:32 -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> > The patch looks fine to me (it's against an earlier version but I can
> > see how to hand-apply it in our version). I'm slightly concerned about
> > sending a large volume of unwanted mail to this list (there were 21
> > edits today, although some of them were flagged trivial and didn't
> > generate any mail).
>
> Yeah, it can be a little noisy.   That being a problem depends on the list
> in question; if it is, maybe a new list is the best approach.
>
> My take on it is that the wiki becomes an extension of the list, in a way
> - -- discussions on the wiki get "mirrored" to the list, and can fork off
> into list-only chats.  in my opinion it's very useful.

I do agree with the utility, and if folks here want to tie the list
and the wiki together a little more that's OK by me (in fact I think
it would be pretty good). It'll be noisy enough that I don't want to
just impose it, though. At peak usage, say when a letter draft or
similar is being finished, there can be dozens of (non-trivial) edits
in a day, sustained over several days.

> > (sidebar - I'm only guessing at the use from the example - which has
> > your email address as the target - but couldn't you just subscribe to
> > "all pages+trivial edits" to get the same effect? Apologies if I've
> > misunderstood what it does)
>
> Unfortunately that doesn't protect against spam or malicious edits;
> an editor can "silence" those change messages.  they can't silence
> these ones.

Indeed, that problem existed in all earlier versions of MoinMoin.
The current version lets you tick a "subscribe to trivial changes" box
in your user preferences. That removes the editors ability to suppress
email alerts.

(PS - sorry about my last post entering hyphenspace there, I must be tired).

--
Glenn Strong