[Fsfe-ie] Re: EU Directive COD/2002/0047

Barry O'Donovan mail at barryodonovan.com
Tue May 24 13:28:44 CEST 2005

Dear Ms Sinnot,

Sean CC'd me his reply and your comments on your position regarding EU
Directive COD/2002/0047 (software patentability) and I have immediately
updated your position as being opposed to software patentability.

> On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 12:46 +0200, SINNOTT Kathy wrote:
> > Thanks for your e-mail. I am surprised to hear that I am listed as
> > undecided on this issue.

I did send out e-mail correspondence as well as a briefing document
[1,2] to you and all other MEPs explaining the issues surrounding
software patentability as we saw them and mentioning the existence of
the website [3]. If you replied and I mis-laid it then I humbly
apologise.

In any case, your position has been recorded and I will inform the
members of my respective groups of that position later this evening. We
were actually working on the assumption that you would be opposing the
patentability of software and I am delighted that you have confirmed
them position. I have also updated a sister page belonging to the Irish
Free Software Organisation to reflect your position also and I have
posted the comments from your e-mail there:

http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/SwpatMepPositions

I'd like to sincerely thank you for your position as software
patentability will detrimentally affect many Irish SMEs, individual
programmers, hobbyists and many Irish R&D programs.

If I can be of any further assistance in anyway on this issue please do
not hesitate to contact by e-mail or on 086-2891589.

Kind regards,
Barry O'Donovan

[1] http://www.kde.ie/patents/briefing/
[2] http://www.kde.ie/patents/briefing/swpats-briefing.pdf