[Fsfe-ie] NY Times article "A Payday for Patents 'R' Us"

Joseph Kiniry kiniry at acm.org
Mon May 2 11:45:32 CEST 2005

Hi all,

There is an interesting article in today's NY Times entitled "A Payday
for Patents 'R' Us" by Ian Austen and Lisa Guernsey.

This article summarizes NTP's successful patent dispute against
Research in Motion, makers of the BlackBerry.  NTP is another
patent-only company run by lawyers.

The last line of the article, a quote from the president of NTP, Donald
Stout (esq.) is particularly telling:

 > Those who criticize, they think that unless you make products, you
aren't entitled
 > to having rights," he said. "That's just not so."

As many of you know, registration is required for reading the NY Times.
  See today's Technology Section at nytimes.com or follow this link
which will probably work for less than two days <sigh>:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/02/technology/02patent.html?
ex=1115697600&en=9566e9ad593d440f&ei=5070

Also, I had emailed this mailing list a shortlist of interesting
academic patent articles last week.  Did list members see that email?
I do not see it in the archive.

Joe
---
Joseph R. Kiniry
Dept. of Computer Science, University College Dublin
http://secure.ucd.ie/