[Fsfe-ie] Irish Software Assoc-

Malcolm Tyrrell malcohol at eircom.net
Mon Mar 21 11:52:34 CET 2005

> Interesting snippets include a piece by Tom Kitt, Minister for the
> Information Society.
> ...that the Community must look at its rules on innovation and
> intellectual property rights to ensure they encourage risk taking in
> Europe...

We've clearly been going about it all wrong. We've been arguing that
software patents expose companies to unnecessary risks. But it seems
that's what the government wanted all the time;)

> Interview with Cathal Friel, chairman of the Irish Software Association,
> an industry representative body affiliated to IBEC.
> ... He believes the Open Source movement is actually stifling innovation,
> because fewer programmers will develop software without the financial
> incentive of success".

I'm sure that if I understood this point, I'd disagree with it.

By the way, were any of the articles in the suppliment critical of
Microsoft, or Ireland's dependence on them, in any way?

Malcohol.