[Fsfe-ie] McCreevy: Commission will take "utmost account" of Parliament amendments

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Fri Mar 11 18:45:19 CET 2005

On 11 Mar 2005, at 17:09, Adam Moran wrote:

> I've just stumbled across this letter from Charlie McCreevy to the
> Chair of Committee on Legal Affairs [1] and wonder as to its meaning.
>
> It seems to be saying that the Parliament can decide to *reject* the
> proposal, and that if this should happen then he would 'not propose to
> submit a new directive'. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I don't claim to be as attuned to the politics as some on this list,
but I suspect this is a veiled threat, in effect he is creating an all
or nothing choice for the EP, either they accept the current Directive
text, or they get no Directive at all (and European software patent law
remains inconsistent).

Ian.

--
Founder, The Freenet Project	http://freenetproject.org/