[Fsfe-ie] Letter for Competitiveness Council

James Heald j.heald at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 2 14:44:05 CET 2005

Malcolm Tyrrell wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> It looks like the directive will be put forward as an A-item at the
> Competitiveness Council meeting of March 7th. We'll have to inform the
> Irish Representative to vote against. I've put the bare bones of a letter
> on the Wiki. It's still in a very rough state, so any help would be
> appreciated:
>
> http://www.ifso.ie/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/SoftwarePatents_2fCompetitivenessCouncil0305?action=show
>
> Malcohol.
>
> P.S. I don't hold a lot of hope for persuading the Irish representative to
> object. Recall that it was the Irish Government who put this draft forward
> at the Competitiveness Council meeting of May last year.

An alternative/additional line would be to ask IE for a declaration from
the Council (and/or a declaration from IE itself), asking the Commission
to reconsider its position and support restart.

(as well as pointing up the problems with the current draft, and urging
IE not to adopt it).

Restart gives the best chance for new language to emerge, as desired by
so many member states, both on defining "technical", and on the problems
of interoperability and standards ambush.

Is there any chance of support in the Dail, to put in more political
pressure ?