[Fsfe-ie] Gay Mitchell

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Sun Jun 26 20:05:12 CEST 2005

Bryan O'Donoghue <typedef at eircom.net> writes:
> Ryan Meade wrote:
> > I think we should try to find out the composition of this delegation

I don't see the value in that.

Their reason for pushing their position is much more likely to be due to
coercion than concern - and we can't compete with coercion.

We have to get a different set of companies to tell the Irish MEPs that this
is not a widely shared position.

The best way to do that would be to get Irish SME representatives into the
parliament this week (especialy Tuesday and Wednesday).  I recently tried to
do this on the ILUG list, but no one was willing.  From talking to SMEs that
have come to the parliament, they say that a better strategy is to contact
the SMEs (directly, not via ilug) and ask them to come.

(I tried this yesterday at GNU/LinuxTag and 4 SMEs agreed to send people.
 None Irish though.)

Information about how an SME Brussels visit works can be found here:
http://www.linux.ie/lists/pipermail/ilug/2005-June/026027.html

> It's worth noting Gay Mitchell, has always been in favour of software
> patents

I thought he stated that he would follow Simon Coveney.

--
Ciarán O'Riordan,
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/                             http://fsfe.org