[Fsfe-ie] IFSO Wiki updates

IfsoWiki at ifso.ie IfsoWiki at ifso.ie
Tue Jun 7 09:00:02 CEST 2005

 * HashBang McWeeneyTue, 07 Jun 2005 07:00:02 -0000
     = Our Next CD =

    - I've been playing with a considerable amount of "Live CDs";http://www.linux-live.org/ (for my own ulterior purposes) but if I hit on something I'm happy with, I'll make sure to share it with the group.  The Page is "here";[wiki:/OurNextCD My thoughts on our next LiveCD]
    + I've been playing with a considerable amount of "Live CDs";http://www.linux-live.org/ (for my own ulterior purposes) but if I hit on something I'm happy with, I'll make sure to share it with the group.  The Page is "here";[wiki:/OurNextCD My thoughts on our next LiveCD] and as Glen suggested, I've transferred over the previous content of this page.

    - I'm thinking of doing things in reverse, in that instead of stripping down something big, it would be easier to build up something small.
    + Short version: I'm thinking of doing things in reverse, in that instead of stripping down something big, it would be easier to build up something small.

    - The current distros I'm entertaining are:
    - Note: Both Slax and DSL come with scripts for creating your own ISO.
    -
    - "Damn Small Linux";http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ can add our customisations to it if we want.
    -
    - "Slax";http://slax.linux-live.org/ (Has UnionFS so we can add our own customs (Gnome, Gnome, Gnome!!!!) as well, possibly CramFSs).  I'm trying to see how well "Free Rock Gnome";http://gsb.sourceforge.net/ sits on it, although at the moment, it's missing libhowl needed for Beagle.  Woops --update (May 24th)... libhowl isn't missing, you just need to go to the dependencies directory and install everything there first, '''BEFORE''' running the install script -Mel
    -
    - "ATMission";http://www.atconsultancy.nl/atmission/ is another knoppix, but I'm not sure how tried and tested the "CowLoop" setup is.  Additionally, there was mention of whether or not it contained only free software (in our sense).  Just read the FAQ and being knoppix based, I expect it has some non-free software, but that would be removed.
    -
    - "Ubuntu";http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ AFAIK will be doing a "LiveCD";http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-releases/5.04/ as well and that would make a superb starting point, AND it's available for different archs.  The "Beatrix";http://www.watsky.net/ live CD is based on Ubuntu and geared for business.
    -
    - My own thoughts on our next LiveCD, is that the base of it should be small enough to fit on a mini (so we're talking 210mb).  To this we add either devtools for students or usertoys for home users, again either of these options should fit on another 210mb.  If we had a third 210mb disk, we could put our audio, PC and Mac software etc. on that.