[Fsfe-ie] TheOpenCD3 Installation to Hard Disk

- M e l - hashbang at oceanfree.net
Thu Jul 28 15:53:03 CEST 2005

Maybe some of you could try this.

First, get the following files from a Gnoppix Mirror
* gengrubmenu2_0.1-3_all.deb
* os-prober_0.1-1_all.deb
* morphixinstaller_0.2-13.1_i386.deb

Next, install them (It's ok to 'force' because the objection is to 'pivot_root',
but
pivot_root is already in /sbin.  Nice!

So, boot the CD, make these downloads available on the filesystem, go to that
place and

$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all `ls *.deb`
$ sudo chmod g+x `which morphixinstaller`  # I suspect this is an unnecessary
step
                                           # because we sudo it anyway in the
launcher

Nearly there, I put a launcher on the Desktop with the Synaptic pixmap.
'Cat'ting the result of the "Hard Disk Installation" icon shows what's below.

Doubleclicking on it will install to hard disk.

I'm going to test this procedure over the weekend on various PCs.
Maybe others could too.  Either way, I expect to be happy with it.
All I do then is automate this with a wee script and append the boot scripts
to run it.

Hope that's clear, hope that's cool.  Any testing welcome.
Mel

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=sudo /usr/sbin/morphixinstaller
TryExec=
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/synaptic.png
X-GNOME-DocPath=
Terminal=false
Name[en_IE]=Hard Disk Installation
GenericName[en_IE]=Install from LiveCD to Hard Disk
Comment[en_IE]=Morphix Installer 0.2-13.1 i386
Get BT Broadband from only EUR15 per month! Enjoy always-on internet
for less! Check it out at http://www.btireland.ie