[Fsfe-ie] Anti-swpat talk/event soon, probably the 21st or 23rd

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Mon Jul 11 17:15:27 CEST 2005

The details aren't set, but here's what's in the pipeline:

I'll be home from the 18th to the 25th, so I was planning on trying to
organise an IFSO/FSFE event in Dublin.

In the last week, Paul O'Malley (PRO of ILUG) asked me to give a talk about
software patents, so I suggested a joint IFSO/FSFE/ILUG event.

The topic of the talk will be the successes, failures, etc. that we've
experienced in the last 2 years while working on the software patents
directive (yep, this list started June 2003!), so that we can be more
effective when the swpat threat comes back (in whatever form).

I'm not sure of the venue or for how long it will be available.

The date hasn't been set yet, but it will probably be either Thursday the
21st or Saturday the 23rd.  The names backing the event haven't been set yet
either (not all the ones I've mentioned above have given an OK, and there
are other organisations that have since mentioned wanting to be part of it).

Doing something on the 21st *and* the 23rd isn't impossible too.

Details should start to solidify in the next 2 or so days, I guess.

--
Ciarán O'Riordan,                              |   Support FSFE's work against
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/             | software patents by becomming