[Fsfe-ie] next bach of ifso cd's

Glenn Strong Glenn.Strong at cs.tcd.ie
Tue Jan 25 00:40:11 CET 2005

On Monday, January 24, 2005 at 23:18 +0000, David Cathcart wrote:
> > > I'd agree here.
> >
> > It's obviously true - every DVD drive can ready CDs, but not the other
> > way around. Still, the attraction not having to pick & choose packages
> > is huge. Can we find out how many people in the target audience would
> > be able to use a DVD?
>
> If anyone can find a recent statistic of % of pc's with dvd's that would
> help us make our decision.

I'll see if I can find anything solid we can base a decision on.

My utterly unscientific impression is that most home machines from the
last 2-3 years will have DVD drives, and machines from earlier are
much less likely to. Work-owned machines also seem to be slightly less
likely to have DVD drives. But as I say, this is just an impression.

> Keep in mind the last cd was full, i had to go through morphix removieng
> un-needed packages to fit things in. If we want to do more than update
> things we're going to have to either drop something or go for a dvd.

I know; it's probably impossible to include more packages than we
already have unless we go to DVD. I suppose it's possible to find a
few to remove, but I doubt there is much.

Stuff we should also include: (i) localised scripts. We have some dialer
scripts, etc, but there might be more we can do there. (ii) some
reading material about Free Software (and IFSO); text, at least, is
easy to include, and has value.

--
Glenn Strong