[Fsfe-ie] Patent letter, new, shorter, V3

Malcolm Tyrrell malcohol at eircom.net
Mon Jan 24 17:27:20 CET 2005

Ciaran, your letter seems fine. I will say that I feel that the emphasis
should not be on the badness of software patents, but rather on the
failure of the current directive to block them.

The argument that "software should not be patentable" is now openly accepted
by almost all parties (even if they don't really agree). In particular,
People  supporting the current draft are claiming that it is sufficient
to stop software patenting and that "that open-source crowd" are just
causing an unnecessary fuss.

We have to persuade people that the current document is not sufficient
to stop software patents; and that the political hassle caused by rejecting
the directive or restarting the process or whatever is necessary.

That said, your letter is still good. Some comments: Remove the last line.
Also, expand "aka". Use the email address "contact at ifso" rather than
"committee at ifso" and replace the "at" in the real draft. I'm not sure
calling the TRIPS angle a "bluff" is productive as you might start sounding
a bit too lefty.

Good luck,

Malcohol.