[Fsfe-ie] Patent letter, new, shorter, V3

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Mon Jan 24 17:24:50 CET 2005

Sorry I'm not being clear.  I guess I disagree with the emphasis you
are placing on the standards issue, I think it is more a symptom than a
cause.  Were the standards issue to go away (if, for example, patents
were not permitted on standards), then I still think software patents
would be a big problem.

The fundamental reason software patents are bad is that the cost to
society of granting a 20 year monopoly greatly outweighs the benefits
of providing this incentive to innovators.  My essay tries to elaborate
on this point which is why I mentioned it.  This is essentially the
point you are making in "Reason 2".

So, my suggestion, and sorry once again for making it in such a
confusing way (I was having a bad thought day), is that Reason 2
becomes Reason 1, and Reason 1 gets moved into the "follow-on harm"
section.

Ian.

Founder, The Freenet Project	http://freenetproject.org/
CEO, Cematics Ltd				http://cematics.com/