[Fsfe-ie] Patent letter, new, long

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Mon Jan 24 00:08:10 CET 2005

On 23 Jan 2005, at 21:19, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Ian Clarke writes:
> I am a bit concerned that the explanation of the problems with software
>> patents misses the wood for the trees somewhat
>
>> I'm confused by this, I thought sections 1 A&B got to the core of the
> problem and showed the harm.

My feeling is that neither of these really conveys the fundamental
problem sufficiently, namely that the monopoly granted by software
patents greatly outweighs any effort required by the inventor.  I don't
deny that this could be inferred from the letter, but there is a big
difference between something being inferable, and something being
stated clearly.  It is a question of emphasis, not factual content.

>> http://locut.us/~ian/blog/archives/39-What-is-wrong-with-software-
>> patents.html
>
> I skimmed the article since the net cafe I'm in is threatening to
> close, but
> I couldn't see how it relates to or highlights a problem in the letter.
> You'll have to spell it out for me.

My feeling is that the letter doesn't explain why software patents are
fundamentally a bad thing, rather it describes several negative effects
of software patents.  The article tries to explain why software patents
are fundamentally bad, and the negative effect you describe would
naturally follow from such an understanding.

If you don't see this distinction, I'm afraid I can't really thing of
anything more I can say to further illuminate my point :-/

Ian.

--
Founder, The Freenet Project	http://freenetproject.org/
CEO, Cematics Ltd				http://cematics.com/